Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 30 April 2020

Mystery Solved.

It's been another day of April showers.
We had less rain as the day went on. I was relieved that I hit a long dry spell when I took the car to the garage. I'd noticed that it was squeaking when I went round corners and/or applied the brakes so Peter booked it in for this morning. No long lie-in today. I dropped the car off and as it was only a small job I walked on into the deserted High Street to while away an hour before picking the car up again. One thing I did notice, as I prowled around in mask and light sunglasses, was an increase in the numbers of cars on the road. Maybe people are getting fed up of staying at home and are venturing out more. When I picked up the car they said the brakes were just a bit dry and needed oiling/greasing? and there was only a nominal amount to pay. We maintained a safe distance as I called out the numbers on my bank card. While I was out I discovered that it is time to get a new phone as mine wouldn't turn on even though I'd charged it up. I'll just get another pay-as-you-go dumb phone, that's all I need for emergency calls.
It is recycling day and as I walked past the waiting boxes and caddies I found my missing brown bag. You could hardly fail to notice the house number written large on both sides. However when I checked the number of the box it was in I saw that it came from the much older chap who lives on his own. Although I took back my bag I waited for the recycling lorry and got a new bag for the chap. When the men were bringing back the boxes and caddies I noticed that they carried them upside down and it was harder for them to see any numbers which most people have written on the sides or tops. So I got some spare paint and have painted our house number inside the box and caddy. Maybe tomorrow I'll paint the number on the underneath of the box too. It might sound a bit petty to be so concerned about items that are given freely by our local council but apart from cleaning because of covid I prefer to keep our boxes clean as do some of the neighbours but not all of them. The mouldy state of some of the caddies in particular is not very nice to say the least.
My afternoon, once I'd showered away any possible contamination from town, was mainly spent playing music. It's the guitar that I tend to not do if I've been busy but then my fingertips soften up and it takes a while of regular playing until they become less sensitive. While I was pottering about I reread my Hobbit Journal for the past two years. The next write up will be at the end of Spring which for me means the end of May. That will be a momentous section with the start and build up of the Covid pandemic and how we have all been affected by it. I was also surprised to realise that Speedy is around 15 years old.

No comments: