Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 15 July 2021

Windy.

Lots of wind today stirring up whitecaps on the water. The morning was fairly cloudy but the afternoon had fewer clouds and once out of the wind was very hot. Right now at 7.30, the wind has died down, there's not a cloud to be seen and the sea is full of families enjoying the water.
I woke at a sensible time this morning, 6.30 and went out for a pre-breakfast walk. I've really missed going for my beach walks, what with things to do, builders to wait for, bad weather or simply being too tired/achey I didn't seem to find the time to fit them in.
It was windy enough that I wore my jacket and before too long wished I hadn't. I ended up taking my jacket off and carrying it something I don't like especially if I'm taking photos.
Quite a few jellyfish on the sand today, mostly Compass jellyfish ranging from saucer sized full-grown ones to small orange sized ones.
There's a lot more sand on the beach at the moment, it's the first time I've been able to cross from one side of these rocks to the other on sand rather than shingle.
Back home I braved the electric hedge trimmer and tidied up the top of the hedge. I used the step-up as a safer platform though I still needed to hold onto the wall as I climbed up. Luckily the top of the hedge is sturdy and I was able to lay the trimmer on top while I climbed up and down. It was still hard work especially as the safety feature of having to have two hands on two buttons meant I had to reposition the step-up close to the wall so I could get to the far side. (The white thing on the terrace is a memory foam mattress topper which I bought to lay over the two single mattresses of the trundle bed which have a gap between them when you put the beds together to make a double. Being foam it needs to air for several days to get rid of the chemical smell. Really I should also find a smaller length of foam to fit into the gap.) I carried on with gardening and as well as clearing the plants where the new raised bed will be I mowed the paths that run through the 'meadow'.
Sitting up on the terrace for a well earned rest I did some bird watching. These sparrows caught my eye as they seem to have taken up eating leaves. First it was one then it brought its mate along. 
Then along came the rest of the family. I couldn't work out if it was the leaves they were after or possibly some insects on the leaves.
Another visitor to the same bit of wall was this female blackbird. She kept arriving with a beakful of worms, nipping into the big bush there and reappearing minus the worms. I worked out that she either had a nest in there, risky with Speedy around, or had parked a fledgeling in there.
And sure enough eventually the naughty fledgeling got fed up of sitting in the bush and hopped out to wait in the sun.

 

No comments: