Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 3 January 2022

Colder.

We had a sunny morning though by the time I thought to take some photos the clouds were starting to roll in. Once darkness fell it began to rain heavily and generally it's getting a lot colder.
Having suggested strongly that Peter refrained from any DIY in the week before Christmas to reduce the chances of him getting an arthritis flare up when we were off to spend Christmas with Vytas and Sally I was only too keen on us getting back to 'doing stuff' around the place. In the end it was only the shortest of tasks screwing in the two end fittings that hold the pole across the inside of the sitting room window. (Peter had earlier done some sorting out in the garage.) At least the pole is up ready for me to hang plants and anything else from. Now that Christmas is over my plan should be to start a thorough Spring clean but this year it's still a matter of 'doing stuff' in the house. With the work on the window I took the opportunity to wash everything that sits on the window sill and then carried on with my bucket and cloth wiping everything in sight.
Straight after breakfast I took a letter down to the Post Office as it was too big to put in the post box across the road. I was not impressed when the ladies in the shop told me that the Post Office was closed because today is a Bank Holiday. My mood did not improve when they told me that even though what I was holding was a 'large letter' it needed a printed label not the stamp I had already put on it. Ho hum. I couldn't really go for a walk on the beach because I hadn't brought a bag with me to put the letter in while I took photos (too big for a pocket) so I contented myself with going down the slipway and along the short stretch of beach to the steps back up to the cliff. Part of my grumpiness was due to the fact that for some reason I thought it was Tuesday but then again Peter also thought it was Tuesday. That's what happens when you're retired and have just had a week of changed routine and relaxation. I carried on thinking it was Tuesday and cleared all the waste bins ready for bin day (Wednesday) and it wasn't until the afternoon that I checked the calendar on my pc and found out that I had got a day ahead of myself. 
On a brighter note when I turned on the tv I found that my favourite of all skills programmes, The Great Pottery Throwdown is back and Call The Midwife which I thought was only a Christmas special is back for a new series too.
 

3 comments:

lea said...

I hope that we get to see a new season of Call the Midwife! What I will be watching is the second season of All Creatures Great and Small, both of these shows are on our Public Broadcasting System.

Ruta M. said...

We enjoyed All Creatures Great and Small too. Did you see the original series made in 1978? The books were one of the reasons I was determined to become a vet but in the end though I was offered a place at vet school I didn't get the grades to get in. That was probably a good thing as I hated dissecting even small animals when I did my degree in biology.

lea said...

Yes, we watched the 1978 series, of course it was probably shown at least a year later in this country. I read all of the books too, I remember laughing so hard at the account of the car with the faulty brakes barreling along.
Getting into Vet school here is very hard, partly because there aren't very many schools with the program. The joke among some is that there are doctors who couldn't get into Veterinarian school so they became MD's.