Whilst it has remained warm the strong winds and wild seas made it feel as if autumn has arrived. It did get sunnier and warmer in the afternoon and I may even take a break out on the terrace in a bit.
My goal today was to finish off the recycling store. An achievable goal I thought as there was only the door to do. There were many trips back and forth from the recycling store by the porch to the garage where all the tools are and eventually the door was cut to size. This did involve not one but two adjustments (ie hand sawing) to the width partly due to there being metal staples buried in the wood right on my cut line and partly because seeing the door get smaller and smaller was making me nervous. That done and all the newly cut edges treated with wood preservative all that was left to do was to fit the hinges and latch. Unfortunately neither of those came with screws and despite there being sets and jars of screws in the garage we didn't have the ones I needed to do a neat job. Pete has ordered a set of the ones I need which should arrive in a few days so completion will have to wait until then.
With some time on my hands I went into the garden to do some cutting back. Much as I hate to lose the silvery foliage of the curry plants I've cut them right back to their greener foliage. If the autumn stays warm I should get some silver leaves back quite soon. I also planned to start cutting back the lavender so that we can walk along the path without getting soaked by the wet stems brushing our legs. But there were a few small bumblebees desperately visiting the few remaining flowers. No way could I deprive them of this last food source so that job has been postponed for the time being.
Today I noticed that a blue fescue has finally sprung back into life. It has been looking dead for over a year ever since a cat peed on it but I wanted to give it a chance and how right I was.
No comments:
Post a Comment