Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 18 September 2008

Barnstaple Fair.


This morning was bright and sunny with a slight chill and mist lingering in the valleys. Having slight focus problems with the camera, or my eyes, so this is the only decent picture.
Back to Barnstaple Fair. 'The origins are lost in the mists of antiquity,' says the web. The fair is almost as old as the town and is reputed to date back to the time of Athelstan - 955. There are records showing it was well established in 1154. In those days it was a livestock fair with a day each for cattle, sheep and horses. The 'pleasure fair' originated in those days and later it was known as the 'saturnalia of North Devon'. They must have been a rowdy lot. The fair always starts on the Wednesday before 20th Sept with a civic ceremony and a mayoral procession from the Guildhall to the fair site.

The gloved hand in the upper window represents the hand of friendship.


The doorway of the Guildhall is always decorated with flowers .


" Now which ride shall I go on first?"




I took these shots just before the fair opened.







There's always lots of fast food at the fair.
The fair will stay open until late on Saturday. On Saturday afternoon there is a carnival which winds its way through town. I've walked along collecting money a couple of times when my boys were on the sea cadets' float. Children that recognised me from school were usually very surprised to see me in a different setting. After the carnival most people make their way over the Long Bridge to the fair and then as it gets dark they throng onto the bridge or beside the river to watch the fireworks. Like many people I like to walk around the fair watching the fun before seeing the fireworks. The rides are pretty expensive though, £5-£7 for the bigger rides. I don't know how families can afford it. My boys used to wander round with their friends but even if I gave them money they would just save it for something else. Pete has an OU assignment to do so yet again if I go, it will be on my own.




1 comment:

Marrisa said...

5 - 7 quid!!? Wowee thats certainly increased since I was little. 50p was the most expensive or maybe one pound (sorry lack of symbols now on the NZ keyboard!!) if it was really good!

Looks so quaint though, I bet it was bustling with Chavs and drunk teenagers by 7pm!! :-))