Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 4 May 2010

A Tasteless Garden Ornament.

If it wasn't for the wind it would have been a beautiful day. Roasting hot in the car but freezing outside. As I had to work in the afternoon I did some little jobs out in the garden, a bucketful of weeds, a few stones moved and a favourite cane garden chair scrubbed clean of the winter's green algae. After work I went off and did some shopping, bought some of those things that all of us girls need, bags of sand & cement, compost, 24 surfinias (trailing petunias ) for the hanging baskets and a pair of work gloves. Although I wanted to complete the grass bed without spending any money I did relent and buy 2 thymes and an aubretia to soften up the edges. Sometimes you give up all hope for a plant only to be pleasantly surprised. I seriously thought this bush (that has purple berries that look like dyed polystyrene balls,) had not survived the winter.

A week ago I checked for signs of life by scraping the outer bark and as I saw some green tissue I didn't throw the plant on the bonfire. And now a few leaves are finally appearing.

Similarly this white woolly buddlia looked like the cold winter had done for it. (Leaves, buds and flowers are all white and woolly.)

But now the first tiny green shoots have burst out of the dead looking wood.

Finally I bought this hideous plastic owl as it was recommended as a way of scaring away the jackdaws which are still hanging around. It looks rather grotesque swaying gently in the breeze but I don't think the jackdaws are too concerned. Tomorrow I might try mounting it on a long pole as close as possible to the chimney.

No comments: