Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 19 October 2015

Lots Done.

Yet another beautiful day but the rumour is that wet weather will be here by the middle of the week. I got up early to put some washing in the machine and if I had been staying at home I would have hung everything out on the line but just to be sure I put it all over the rayburn. In the morning I trimmed some of the heathers and then planted lots of heather cuttings in the nursery bed. If they all grow, and I did use rooting powder, then I'll have the nice basis of a new heather bed. I also cooked up another enormous pan of stewed apple. 
At school it was the last week of the music we've been listening to from the new Fantasia film, Firebird this time. After half term I'll be back to RE when I can use last year's plans. When I got home it was still sunny, an hour or so before I took these photos, so I got out the lawn mower. It was satisfying clearing the leaves at the same time. The bottom lawn looks especially verdant, mainly due to all the moss. The little lawn where I park my car was transformed from a brown leafy mess to a tidy green area but the satisfaction was outweighed by the frequent emptying of the grass box. Too much bending down for my back.
Even then I wasn't done as the bedding needed ironing. However it's all done and back on the bed and now I have Downton Abbey to relax with. 
Anecdote from school - as I walked across the playground at lunchtime many children were holding and eating a square of cake from the school dinner (I'm surprised that a number of children still bring packed lunches as school dinners are free). One of the reception children came up to me and said "I'm eating my cake." and his friend who wasn't, held up his hand and said "I'm eating imaginary cake." Not bad for a 4 year old.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Ruta, You are definitely getting your lawn in order. We are gathering leafs that my husband chops and I put on my flower bed. Good for the dirt, the worms and a nice insulator for the cold to come.

I've been watching on our Public Broadcasting Station "Home Front"...at least I think that's the title...essentially it's about a village in England as WWII approaches. My question is: Woman's Institute plays a central role. I wonder if you or your mother were members of the WI and is it still an active group? I've read many books referencing the WI as both a learning group as well as helping group.

Ruta M. said...

The WI is still very active, mainly in the countryside than in towns. I joined the local group when we first moved here and only stopped going when I was teaching full-time and totally worn-out. When I first joined there were only about 10 of us in our group and we held our monthly meetings in each other's houses. In the last few years there are more of us so meetings are held in the village hall. At each meeting there is talk which can be anything from craft demonstrations to local history or social issues. After the talk 2 members provide a sweet and savoury snack with the teas and coffees. There is always flower of the month and a little competition usually craft based. Almost each village here has a group and twice a year there are Group meetings where all the local groups meet together and have a more expensive speaker. We would go out together for a meal at Christmas and maybe in the summer. It's a great way for women to get together and have a bit of fun and is a good support system when the inevitable happens and people are left on their own. The national organisation does a lot of campaigning about things like health issues or sustainability. If we weren't planning on moving away next year I would make the time to join again but I still see people I first met through the WI. There's also a college where you can go for residential courses.