Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 28 April 2016

Wintry.

The morning was fairly grey and by the afternoon dark clouds were being blown across the sky. The wind is still coming from the north-east so it is cold once more. I was up early ready for the windscreen man as they don't give you a specific time, just any time between 8.00 and 1.00. In the end he arrived at 10.30. Vytas, Sally and friends are arriving tomorrow so I made a batch of big chewy chocolate chunk cookies. In between batches I painted around the wall lights in the sitting room. I also got together all the technical guides, guarantees, maps etc that will be useful and put them in polypockets in a ring binder to show to prospective buyers. There were so many guides for the water treatment system that they have a binder of their own. At the same time Peter worked on tidying up the wiring in the conservatory
We can tuck the main wires up along the top of the big wooden beams but the wire going down to the light has to run down the stone wall. That's where I came in with stone chisels and hammer to carve out a channel through the concrete between the stones. I even chipped out a groove through one of the stones. That all took quite a while and I had to have a rest afterwards. (Tomorrow I'll mix up some concrete and hide the wire completely. Drilling holes for the light fitting in the stone was very hard work even with our big heavy duty power drill. Once they were done it was easy peasy wiring up the light and screwing it to the back plate. Peter turned on the switch and ....... nothing happened. A quick check on line revealed that halogen bulbs may not be compatible with older (I think 25 years qualifies) dimmer switches. Luckily we had a spare standard switch and Peter was able to put that on instead after which the lights did work. Thank goodness for Peter's electrical training.
I found my school diary. I had already looked once under the seats but it had slid right to the back.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Looks cold but what a beautiful picture.
Have a great visit tomorrow. My son is visiting us right now. : )