Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 15 May 2012

Tresco.

I can't say, Now for the rest of Tresco, because we only walked a small portion of the coast but what we saw was utterly beautiful. No wonder it is the sea side getaway for the rich. The one shop is known for its excessively high prices, even by island standards. There is a smart hotel and many expensive holiday homes for rent and of course its own heliport. We arrived on the boat from St Mary's just over a mile away in the background.
Yes, the sea really was that colour. It's very shallow over the drowned lands and at low tide you can walk between some of the islands. There are good, wide concrete paths around Tresco used by tractors pulling big trailers with seats in to transport the helicopter passengers to and from their holiday accommodation. The signposts had, not distances but walking times marked on them.

Looking across the water we could see the island of Bryher. While we were in the gardens I overheard a guide talking about the local schools. There is a primary school on Tresco with about 25 children (4-10yrs) from Tresco and Bryher. When they are 11 they move to the secondary school on St Mary's and although it is only a short distance away they have to stay as boarders on St Mary's during the week. For college they then go over to the mainland.



As we walked round the rain kept threatening and not long after we had a full blown thunderstorm. We sheltered from the storm and then went to the local pub for a coffee.


Half an hour later the storm had blown over and the sun was out in full force.


We had landed at a jetty close to the gardens but our return trip was from New Grimsby. The pub we called in at was the building in the middle with the white walls. Nearly all of the other houses were holiday cottages. I would love to return and fully explore all the beaches of this remote island.

I have been at school for the whole day again. I took one class swimming in the morning and in the afternoon I moved to a Year 2 class. I stayed very late in school putting up a display as we have some big wig coming to have a look around. He'll probably only stick his head in the door for 5 mins and be gone again.

1 comment:

lea said...

You never know, one year our Superintendent of Schools came to our school and decided to come to the library with a grade 2 class. He sat on the story steps with the class and I went on with my planned reading of Stone Soup. I had even brought in a kettle and some of the ingredients mentioned in the book, I was doing what the kids & I enjoyed, if he liked it, well good for him.