Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 14 January 2014

Colder.

I'm having a few pc problems this evening. Peter has managed to get it from dead as a dodo to up and running with the warning that things might still go wrong. I can't get any photos on this post so I guess it still needs some work. It may well be due to the fact that yesterday I caught my foot in the cables and the box fell over on its side.
Anyway - it was much colder this morning with a proper frost. Before I started on my gardening I cleared the ice from the inside and outside of the car windows and made sure it started alright. It did but I've been noticing some new noises from the engine so I'll book it in to be checked over. This is not the time of year to break down.
Just as I came in from gardening I had a Skype call from Vytas. They are now in Jakarta after their trip to the jungle. The picture wasn't very good but I could see branches behind Vytas and hear some whooping noises. When I asked if that was some sort of howler monkey I could hear he told me it was Katie Perry on the bar's sound system. I did hear the waitress come over with his drink, being Vytas that was tea of course.
I was teaching in the afternoon and had a fairly good session. I had to laugh when, at the end of the day I found that one child had not brought her book bag into school because "the dog had been sick on it." That's a good enough reason. I spent an hour after school sticking work into the children's books so it was dark by the time I left for home. Not only dark but raining heavily. All the way home I was keeping my fingers crossed (metaphorically) that it wouldn't be snowing when I got up into the hills and luckily it wasn't.
When Peter came home not only did he have to deal with my pc but he had yet more phone calls to make to BT. He spent an hour on the phone yesterday getting nowhere and was especially infuriated when they claimed to have no record of any previous faults on the line. Ha! I have photos from November 2011 when they came and dug up the junction box in the lawn. Today he got a text to say that they had tested the line  remotely and there was no fault so any problems must be with our equipment. If he hadn't been able to cancel tomorrow's repair man we would have been billed £130. So according to them there have been no previous faults and the fact that the line worsens and the internet dies when it rains is due to ........ rain inside our house? Never mind all the previous repair men who have found problems with the line and outside boxes which they have been able to make temporary repairs to. It is so frustrating because not only are we paying the same as people who have clear lines and internet speeds far greater than ours but if the line goes completely it will take weeks if not months before it is replaced. 
So if I suddenly go off line it will most probably be due to our wonderful service and line provider.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

I dread you going off line. Here is the states, dealing with any utility can be as perplexing and aggravating as your experiences. Mostly....fault is the user. I do remember when the customer was right....dark ages.

So funny you mistook Katy Perry for a howling monkey. Do you suppose its age, hearing or lack of experience with today's pop music?