Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 23 January 2016

Serendipity ?

Too many aching muscles last night to carry on with weeding in the hens' run today much as I want to get on with that job. I wasn't going to do any outside work but I just couldn't let a dry day go to waste. I compromised by weeding the rocky bank. Although it is a bit of a scramble at least there isn't so much bending. The mild winter has meant that the grass in particular has kept on growing so there was plenty needing to be pulled and dug out. The birds were singing, the wind whistling in the trees and all was well until I heard the dreaded baying of the hunt hounds and the sound of the huntsman's horn. They were up on the hill and then spent at least half an hour on the gorse covered side of the valley no doubt hoping to 'accidentally' come across the scent of a fox rather than the drag hunt trail. The sound of the hunt is one thing I shall not miss when we move away from here.
I had done a fair amount of weeding so I came indoors. I had missed the first episode of the new series of Call the Midwife so I decided to watch it on the BBC i-player and treat myself to one of yesterday's chocolate cookies (very nice it was too) and a small chocolate Swiss roll. (Saturday is treat day on this diet.) Speedy was purring away on my lap when suddenly he leaned forward and grabbed half the Swiss roll which was on a plate in front of me. Needless to say he got a shout and a smack as I prised the cake out of his greedy mouth. Then he got thrown outside and the cake went into the bin.
Yesterday's efforts at filling the holes in the plasterboard under the stairs were in vain. The stairs are very old, possibly several hundred years so there is movement when you tread on them and this caused all the filler to drop out. I've tried again today this time putting superglue in the holes before filling them. Maybe that will work.
Now for the strange co-incidence. We always listen to Radio 4 in our bedroom though Peter falls asleep within minutes usually when he is reading. Last night it got to 11.00 and the announcer said that next would be Great Lives. That's a biography style programme that I generally find boring. So while the radio was still running I turned on my MP3 player to listen to some music and read. When I first got my MP3 player Vytas very kindly put on a load of tracks from his MP3 player. Most of it was older stuff that I knew;Jethro Tull, Dire Straits etc. but there were also some that I had never heard of. Not too surprising as I don't have a radio in my car and hear very little modern music. Currently I've been enjoying the album Grace by Jeff Buckley and that's what I went to last night. I've been meaning to ask the boys about Jeff Buckley or look him up on line as I can see that some of the songs are covers but I wanted to know a bit more. Imagine my surprise when I heard, over the music that the subject of the Great Lives programme was Jeff Buckley. I hadn't missed much and it was interesting though sad to hear about his life and short career.

1 comment:

happyone said...

We've watched the Call the Mid Wife series and liked it a lot.
Enjoy your warm weather. : )