Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 8 January 2016

Piano Tuned.

Still dry and not too cold though the word is that it will feel a lot more wintry next week.
This morning the piano tuner came to sort out my poor old piano. I used to have it tuned regularly but then the tuner retired (he used to ring me when it was time to tune the piano) and with one thing and another the years slipped by. I've been meaning to have the piano tuned for a while but there was no point if it was going to be moved by the carpet layers. It's so nice to have it back in tune though there is a slight creak on the sustain (loud) pedal which he couldn't get rid of and even without the pedal some notes are sustaining much longer than they used to. That's not too much of a problem as I like the notes carrying on and have the bad habit of using far too much pedal when I play. I talked to the tuner about the condition of the piano and he confirmed my ideas that it would be better to get rid of the piano when we move and buy another when we finally settle down. I'm not sure I would get the same satisfaction playing a modern electric piano. 
Late I had a long session playing the piano though I'm not sure how much Peter enjoyed hearing me working my way through scales. It's funny that although like many kids I hated practising scales I find them quite fun now and a good way to loosen up my fingers. Arpeggios tend to make my right hand, which has a touch of arthritis, sore but I do some for the challenge.
I've defrosted some pumpkin soup from the freezer for supper. As I've added carrot, parsnip, celery and onion it's now more of a vegetable winter warmer.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Soup sounds wonderful....we've had rain. Temperatures are still above "normal" therefore no snow.