Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 6 May 2011

Here Comes The Rain.

The weather forecast is for thunderstorms and heavy rain this weekend so when I got home I went straight out to the veg plot to move some perennials from the plot to the small space at the end of the remaining leylandii hedge. I shifted a big clump of day lilies, a random iris (I think) and something that some one gave me years ago which produces whorls of yellow flowers a bit like monarda. I also put in a keria which hopefully will cover up the bare end of the leylandii hedge. The bright yellow pom-pom flowers should compliment the yellow azaleas which are flowering in front of the hedge. The rain started just as I was putting the last plants in and if we have a wet few days they shouldn't flop too much. I know it is the wrong time to move them but that's just the way it worked out. Up in the scree garden the alliums are looking good though the leaves are showing the effect of the recent lack of rain. (There were lots of these at the Eden Project.)

School wasn't too bad today. The children had a practice go at the maths tests and although I was a bit concerned at the problems some of them were having, when I compared the test levels with the levels I had just put onto the school pupil tracker they matched pretty well.
I have over 20 varieties of hardy geranium because they do so well here. They like the soil(less) conditions and don't get eaten by the slugs, a big bonus.

2 comments:

happyone said...

Your flowers are lovely.
Rain is due to arrive here this evening. The sky looks very dark and the rain should be here any moment.

Domestic Executive said...

Hi Ruta - I suspect a touch of rain will be a welcome thing in the garden. Except of course the vegetable patch which will turn into a mucky mess. We have exactly the same soil conditions as you so have dug out 300mm down and refilled with top soil for the herb and salad bed. Same for kitchen garden which also has 150mm raised bed. Couldn't have dug it by hand - man and digger! Good luck though - can't wait to see how it progresses. Julie

PS - loving those Eden pictures, keep em coming.