Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 3 November 2015

Up and Down Ladders.

Last night I decided that I wasn't going to leave putting up those lights any longer. Surely the wiring instructions would be easy enough to follow. So this morning I followed steps 1-5 on the first light even remembering that you shouldn't touch the bulb but used a paper towel to protect the bulb from any grease from my fingers. It was then that I began to worry if turning off the big switch in the fuse cupboard would really turn everything off. I know that normally that should be the case but the way this house was renovated by the last owners some things work in strange ways. (Peter has now assured me that I'll be safe with that switch off.) As it turned out I couldn't have done the wiring today anyway. When I checked where the screws go into the stone wall I found that the rawlplugs had come out along with part of the mortar that holds the stone in place. It's really hard to drill into the stone and even the mortar so instead I mixed up some cement and fixed new rawlplugs in place with the cement.
While I was going up and down the ladders I put the ladders up at the back of the house and took down the old TV aerial cable and the rope across the stream that it was attached to. Then I noticed that the back gutter was full of leaves, no surprise there, so I cleared the gutter all the way across the back of the house. A good morning's work I think.
My wooden cake board got a few coats of paint today too. It's a bit irritating that it's not a perfect circle but Peter says we can call it an artisan cake board.
It was a grey morning and by the time I set off for school it had begun raining lightly. I spent my afternoon with the reception children doing music with both classes. After school I put my art coordinator's hat on and filled out an order form for more art supplies as next week is Arts' Week. I used to love being allowed to do nothing but art for a whole week (once for a fortnight). Now the children do art once a week if that as there is so much English and maths to be done and those are what the school is judged on.
I hadn't planned to go shopping after work but I gave a friend a lift home so I carried on to the Co-Op and what a good thing I did. I got so many things at 75% off; strawberries, grapes, fresh figs, kiwi fruit, Wenslydale cheese with cranberries, some cod which I'm cooking for supper, a ham joint, chocolate & orange buns and fruit scones. All in perfect condition, no soggy or mouldy fruit. I'll be looking forward to a nice variety of fruit with my porridge in the mornings.

1 comment:

happyone said...

You sure are handy to have around the house. : ) I'm impressed with all that you can do.