Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 7 June 2023

Corris.


The sunny weather continues and was perfect for a day out, part of my ambition to explore our locale.
We drove up to Corris which is on the edge of Snowdonia and after parking at the Craft Centre we did a walk that I'd found in a book at the library. It was classed as an easy 3 mile walk though I think Peter might disagree after trudging up the steep track through the forest.
Our route took us along the valley and then up to walk higher through a forest to the site of the abandonned Abercorris slate mine.
On the way up we passed a cottage with some interesting structures in the garden. (More pics tomorrow.)
Eventually we got to a veiwpoint where we could see Mynydd Rugog [mun-ith ree-gog] across the valley and over to the right the start of the Cadair Idris range.
At the site of the quarry where up to 40 men had worked, were many abandonned slate buildings and even the fences were made of slate slabs wired together.

On our return to the craft centre we had a good look around. Peter was taken with the wooden furniture and while the locally made glass ornaments were impressive apart from red dragons they were not to my taste. What did catch my eyes were the windchimes, not at all local and neither were the many glittery dragons and other Goth type ornaments. But I do like windchimes. Only yesterday I rescued a small set from storage and hung them up in the garden and we have one similar to the ones in the shop. It hangs by the door to the terrace and chimes gently when the door is opened. Today I was drawn to the very large butterfly chimes (hanging where the beams cross) but without a specific spot to hang it here I couldn't justify buying it. If I could work out where to have it I can always return or drop lots of hints about a birthday present.
We were back home in time for me to do some more work in the garden. Having decided that I don't need to clean most of the concrete from the tops of the blocks the work went a lot quicker and I already have enough blocks for the next row.
I went to choir tonight and on the way home I saw a flash of red indicating a pretty sunset.
Zoomed in it looked even better and then I waited and zoomed in even further to capture what I call an out of this world sunset. No filter, just the zoom.

 

No comments: