Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 22 October 2010

Disco Day.

Phew! it's half-term so I've a whole week to - sort the garden, clean the house, get ready for Christmas and put lots of information onto the on-line tracker. Might just manage some rest in that lot. Today was fairly hectic, my own fault for deciding that we could make clay pots, clay cobras and put plaster bandages on cardboard models of elephants. All of the snakes have been done, most of the pots and half of the elephants. All that messy work and it was a non-uniform day, a wear something pink day and bring a contribution for a cancer charity. On top of that the parents' association were running a disco for the year 2s after school so they (the children not the parents) were allowed to wear their disco clothes all day. Luckily the children all have large painting aprons mainly made from their dads' shirts. After school I was tidying up the classroom as well as talking to a 3rd Year teaching student who is on placement in my class and the caretaker kept popping in and sighing deeply when he realised he couldn't clean my classroom yet. He would much rather we all went home straight after school but he has got used to the fact that I generally stay until 5.30. Perhaps he thought I'd be off early as it is the start of the holiday. No such luck. Apart from all the mess I had made I'm moving some children into different working groups and being an obsessive organiser I needed to change the coloured tape on each work folder/book for that shows the group colour. It just makes life easier. A pretty sunset on the way home, pictures taken at Bowden Corner.
It has been a sunny day, unlike yesterday's heavy rain. It was not so cold in the morning (yesterday all my car windows were iced over) but there has been snow in the north of Scotland. Winter approaches.
Arriving home I found a van in our yard that Peter had hired to pick up a mattress from Exeter. I'd bought the mattress (a Sleepmaster all memory foam, like Tempur but not so pricey) from eBay at a fraction of the usual cost. It was the most unwieldy of objects to get out of the van and into the house having nowhere to grip. It's now at the bottom of the stairs trussed up with a new washing line waiting until Linas visits tomorrow to give us a hand to get it up the stairs. It's 6ft x 6ft as we hope to get ourselves a new super king bed, possibly from eBay, by Christmas. Anything to make sleeping more comfortable.

3 comments:

Elora said...

I can never move a mattress! I get the giggles because it's so unwieldy, it's like trying to walk a noodle on its end. I start giggling and cannot stop until I've collapsed in a heap on the floor! What a chore! How did you have it delivered from eBay??? That sounds ...well...impossible!

Elora

Catching the Magic said...

Have a good, though busy, half term. Sounds like a full on term you've had.

Ruta M. said...

I bought the mattress from some people in Exeter, 60 miles away. I'd factored in the hire of a van into the cost when I was bidding. I had thought we'd go together to get the mattress but Peter went on his own and I helped him get it out of the van. It has no handles, keeps flopping but is rather heavy so I've got it tied up with rope which might make getting it up the stairs easier.