Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 23 October 2010

Hailstones !

We were woken to the sounds of a severe thunderstorm. Rumble after rumble and the electricity was cut off 6 times before finally being restored. One of the surges managed to get through the expensive surge protector, despite a lifetime guarantee there is a small sticker on the back which says it is not proof against lightening strikes! Our BT hub, phone and some of Peter's switches on his server set up have been burnt out. Luckily we have a spare phone (it was our new wireless phone that was destroyed), and due to our constant complaints about the pathetic broadband speed and phone line we were given a spare hub so Peter was able to restore the phone and internet. He's been out and bought some better surge protection too. The tv in the kitchen is also looking a bit strange so we'll have to have a go at adjusting the contrast before we can watch it. As well as heavy rain we were also bombarded with hailstones, here seen on the conservatory roof.
Looking out at the drive I could see a river flowing down but the central ditch did its job and there wasn't too much raking needed to restore the drive. Linas hadn't been able to get in touch with us in the morning so he postponed his visit until later in the week. Drat, we were counting on him to help us get the mattress up the stairs but it is blocking the way so we'll have to have a go at it ourselves. I decided to go into town anyway though it was a matter of dodging the showers. I got Peter something he has been hankering after for a long time, a hooded dressing gown. I bought myself one last year from Dorothy Perkins, it was so soft, warm and cosy that I ended up buying some for the youngsters. I didn't buy one for Peter as he does has a good dressing gown but it is not hooded or as soft and warm. I've had to wait until the shops got their winter range in but DP's still had the best. This year the colour range was limited to cream or a dark plum so I bought him the same plum one that I've got. He's most grateful for the dressing gown especially as we've both got heavy colds and need a bit of cosseting. I've made us a hearty beef casserole with lots of root vegetables for tomorrow (and a few more days after that).

1 comment:

happyone said...

Sorry to hear you all have colds too. I actually feel fine now, just have a runny nose. My cold is very mild.