Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 31 July 2024

Rowing and Birds.

A proper sunny day today. The official temperatures for most of the UK were in the high twenties. Once you factor how much hotter it is if you are in the sun it was a very hot day indeed.
The beach has been full all day and the reasonably calm sea was perfect for families, kayakers and paddleboarders. It was also a good day for a row though we didn't see any dolphins. Thankfully I'm no longer frightened by the water though I wouldn't like it to be any more bouncy than it was today. This was my second row of over an hour and yes my back was twinging afterwards. But then just about everything I do including shopping makes my back twinge. The real test will be how I feel tomorrow. 

A few bird incidents today. First thing this morning I could hear a commotion down on the rocks which turned out to be some oystercatchers getting agitated by the presence of several gulls and trying to drive them off. This was because the oystercatchers had at least one fledgling with them.

The two seagull fledglings that I watched learning to fly have long gone and two more youngsters are now hanging around next-door's yard. The bigger one can fly perfectly well but the little one is not quite there yet. Hearing a lot of extra peeping from them I looked over the wall to see them begging for food from an adult. I felt really sad when I saw the bigger one take food out of the adult's mouth three times in a row not letting the little one have anything. I know - nature is harsh. Off went the adult, the bigger youngster sat down for a rest and the little one continued to cry for food. I'm such a softie that I threw some pieces of bread crust over the wall which it soon ate. Peter would be horrified if he knew and normally I wouldn't feed the seagulls. There are a lot of young birds around at the moment and I wasn't best pleased when I saw this one in the shingle garden. Sure enough it started pecking at the plants so down I went and chased it away.
Earlier in the day I had seen the geese flying down the coast and then in the afternoon they flew past on their way back to the salt marshes along the Afon Dyfi.
I tried to fit in as much 'sitting outside' time to take advantage of the lovely weather and found some sewing jobs that I could take out with me.

No comments: