It's been hot today but not to the same degree as last week and the clouds are beginning to gather.
I went to the zoo in the morning and because Peter offered to take a whole load of stuff to the dump and get me sand and cement I cycled. I think it's the first time this year. Up til now it's either been too cold, too wet, too hot or I've been too tired for me to contemplate cycling but I'm very glad I did it.
It isn't far, maybe a mile and a half and either flat or downhill on the way there. I noticed people smiling when they see me in my wellies and yellow high-viz waistcoat and wondered are they thinking 'Oh bless, look at that old lady doing her best to cycle.' or is it more amusement at my wobbling progress and look of terror when a car passes me.' (I'm exaggerating a little.)
I was just pleased that I made it up and over the level crossing without stopping though on the way home I did get off and push across the uphill turning and again by the house where it really is steep.
At the zoo I gave the gravel garden a tidy over, a few tiny weeds there and plenty of dry leaves from the nearby trees. Then more tidying of some flower beds and to finish I pulled up the ragwort that was growing in the willow circle and the very large ragwort plants growing by the turkey enclosure. Those did not go to the pigs who generally get all the weeds I pull up.
Being the school holidays there was a steady stream of families, mostly with younger children.
Back home, once I'd recovered from my cycle ride I did more work on the garden wall and also chipped away at the concrete surrounding an old drain cover by the back gate. At the moment the gate/door opens easily but in wet weather the wooden door swells and catches on the concrete when I try to open it. What should be done is take the door off its hinges, cut 1cm off the bottom and seal or paint the bottom edge to keep the wood dry. But this door has been there for 30 years and the hinges' screws are completely rusted. No way to get the door off without a lot of damage. That's why I've been levelling the concrete. Today I finished off that job so that when I start cementing the garden wall I can also repair the cracks in the concrete by the door.
I'll be off to Pilates in a while to unwind all those twinging muscles.
No comments:
Post a Comment