Despite a cooler and very grey start the heat built up during the day heralding the return of the next heatwave.
The abundance of butterflies is over, just a single white butterfly and a small brown and orange butterfly that didn't stay still long enough for me to identify it let alone take a photo.
The bees on the other hand are still here, at least 20 bumble bees on the lavender and today they have been joined by honey bees who are mainly on the mint flowers. The mint is growing well and I plan to move some to the zoo but can't while conditions are so dry.
In the morning I painted the patch of render I filled in the other day and did a bit of touching up here and there on the garden wall. The last flakes of dry paint have been swept up from the path at the side of the house and I made a metal mesh cover for a hole that gives access to a ventilation grill. That done I spent the rest of the morning working on my latest sequinned top.
In the afternoon we went to the Arts Centre at the uni to see The Odyssey. Peter enjoyed it but I can't say I was very impressed. To start with the American accents grated which I guess is a personal thing but the actual script sounded way too modern/informal. I can't say much about the weapons and armour as I'm not familiar with those details either from Homer's time or the time of the Trojan war apart from Agamemnon's armour which looked like a cross between Batman and a transformer. What did catch my eye were the boats which were clearly Viking boats with a small addition on the prow. Also I thought by now everyone knows that the temples and statues in ancient times (Greek, Roman, Egyptian) were highly coloured much like temples and statues we see nowadays in India and other places. So why were those in the film the plain white we're used to seeing in museums?
An unusual modern powered board (a jet board?) seen this afternoon. I don't think I've seen one of those before.
We came home from the Arts Centre with just enough time for me to get organised before heading off to choir.
Evening sea.
No comments:
Post a Comment