Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday, 20 July 2026

Parched Hills.

Schools are out, the sun is shining and it feels like holiday time.
This morning it was a paddle boarders' sea with barely a ripple on the mirror-like surface. By mid-morning the wind had picked up bringing small to medium sized breaking waves. Just perfect for the families thronging the beach and water. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? More of the same I expect. 
In the morning we went to Mach library where we competed against the noise of small children but we're quite rowdy ourselves. It's good to keep up with our Welsh especially as we have such a long summer break before the new term begins.

One thing I noticed on our drive to Mach was how brown everything has become. Even the trees are beginning to lose their green in the heat. This weather might be good for the holidaymakers but the ever present threat of wild fires is worrying. Only last week a 200 acre fire burned for days on the mountains near Harlech and today there are reports of another major fire near Wrexham.
Snowdonia.
(Below) Looking across the bog to the Cambrian mountains.
Yet again I didn't manage to do any more work on the garden wall which left me feeling a bit dissatisfied with my afternoon. 
Instead when we got home from Mach first I hung out in the sun some things to air that had been stored in a wooden chest and I'd realised yesterday smelt a bit musty. I then spent the rest of the afternoon hand sewing a tape onto a throw to create a temporary curtain for the sitting room window. 
While I get fed up with Peter's insistence that we watch the tv with curtains drawn and the lights off (he likes the cinema experience) and to be fair he has compromised in accepting that I have one of the main window blinds raised enough so that I can see the sea and in the winter we have a table light on even I have to admit there was so much light escaping around the venetian blind on the side window it was hard to see the tv screen. 
Last night it was so bad that I pegged a large throw up which cut out the offending glare. Today I used shower curtain hooks to hang up a smaller throw. The sewing was time consuming and even that is only a temporary solution. (Later) and AARGH it turns out not as effective as the larger throw hung up with a couple of clothes pegs.
A better solution will be to make proper curtains using black-out fabric under white muslin (to match the main curtains). I tried to order the fabric earlier but the website failed at the payment stage. I'll try again tomorrow or have to look for another supplier. Patience grasshopper.

Last night's sunset.
I can't resist a good sunset or the dramatic way the camera shows it.
Going down behind Bardsey Island. (Already tonight the angle has changed and the sun sank down to the left of Bardsey.)

No comments: