Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 26 October 2009

It's All Phantom Pain!

Autumn colours are starting to be seen on the trees both in town and in the countryside. The predominant colours are yellows and oranges. (We don't have the bright sunny days followed by cold nights that encourages the production of sugars in the leaves that results in bright red foliage. ) This was up by the hospital where I was going for a physio session. The physio was not that impressed by my GP and consultant's views that my shoulder pain is caused by neck problems. I left feeling annoyed and upset over his pronouncement that the pain is phantom nerve pain and that I must have a very low pain threshold. I know he is talking cobblers but I can't help the feeling that I am making a fuss over nothing. He also suggested that I need to find some form of exercise to keep everything mobile - good idea, but he was hung up on insisting I go swimming. I HATE swimming (body boarding yes but not pool swimming), for a start it gives me dreadful pain in the sinuses and I don't have the time to traipse over to the other side of town several times a week. He did give me some exercises to loosen up my back but he wasn't happy about my refusal to go to the pool. After the hospital I did some shopping in town and treated myself to a handful of books from the library. I also finally sorted out my phone and got the sim card moved from one phone to another. The previous salesman had mistakenly told me that all my details would be transferred but instead it was just a blank sim card. The nice man in the shop sorted it all out and I've got a spare sim card in my old phone. This was after I'd seen the CarPhone Warehouse sign on the wall, gone into the phone shop, explained my woes and been told by a very polite young lady that actually this was the Orange Shop and I needed to go next door, Woops. It started raining when I was in town and has been raining gently all day.
Even in the rain the garden is gently glowing with a golden haze over many of the plants.








The azaleas and the purple beech tree add a few shades of dark red to the garden.

2 comments:

Domestic Executive said...

Tut tut Ruta. Swimming is a marvellous thing for backs but I can tell you're not going to follow advice on this. Only other suggestion I have is pilates - get a DVD and give is a whirl. Be prepared not to walk for a few days when you first try (muscles you never knew you had) but when you're through the self inflicted pain barrier you'll be on a roll and find that the your inner core will be stronger and so will other parts of your body. Whichever way you go, hope things are feeling better soon.

Ruta M. said...

That's not a bad idea. I had been thinking in terms of pilates or Tai Chi, maybe the library will have a dvd for me to try, but I'll have to wait a bit as my back is currently in a bad way after raking the drive last week.