Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 19 July 2014

Green Man Day.

 You see some funny sights on Green Man Day. 
Earlier in the day Peter and I had been assisting the police (no, not with their inquiries) as marshals while the Green Man Pageant paraded through the town. 
I was positioned at the end of a quiet street and only stopped one car while Peter was at the traffic lights at the next junction and had stopped a line of about 20 vehicles.


Our civic duties over we joined the crowds thronging Pilton Street and Rotary Gardens.  I heard the announcer say that there were over 138,00 people at the festival this year. The festival is a great community event with a flavour of its own combining the medieval theme, music on 4 stages and community groups with the usual sprinkling of commercial stalls mainly selling tat, jewellery or food. 
Apart from a raffle ticket to win a car and a pencil that looks like a dragon on a stick my spending was all on food from the fund raising stalls; a lentil roll from the Green Party stall and home baked cakes from other stalls raising money for worthy causes. I did get rather fed up with the man from the UKIP stand who was pestering me to take one of his leaflets. Did he really think that would change my views? 
As usual I saw a lot of familiar faces mainly from school. Not surprising as the school is in the next road. It was handy knowing the gate code and being able to park in the school car park as all the parking spaces in the surrounding streets were taken.
I wandered around looking at all the stalls and taking lots of photos (more tomorrow) while Peter did his stint at the Gig Club display. We then went back down to the stage at the bottom end and listened to a band playing Blues music before the 5 hours of being in town took its toll on my feet and we headed back home. It had been quite hot at the festival so I thankfully drank several mugs of tea sitting in the peace of our garden.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Lovely to see the photos of this annual event. Best....home to tea and garden.