Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday, 6 August 2026

Carnival Preparations.

Sun and wind today.
The butterflies were back on the lavender this morning. About a dozen of them including a single hummingbird hawkmoth and plenty of bees. Not wanting to disturb these seekers of nectar I've taken to walking over the shingle to get to the end of the garden rather than along the stepping stones close to the lavender.

After breakfast I drove to the other end of the village for the first stage of preparing the skiff for the rowing club's carnival entry. The sun was shining on the many holiday makers thronging the village and the bunting strung across the High St fluttered gaily in the wind.
We are fortunate that one of the club members has moved to the far end of the village and has space round the back of his house where we could put the skiff. Although all the painted cardboard can't be fixed on the boat until the morning in case it rains in the night we got a long rope tied round the boat and were able to work out how everything was going to be put in place. Much better than having to do it all tomorrow morning.

When I finally got home Peter went off to do the shopping and I cut all the hedges. All that earlier hard work reducing the height and width of the hedges certainly made today's trim much easier. Usually I have to spread the work out over several days but although my back was hurting by the end at least it is all done.

No comments: