Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday, 16 August 2026

Honey Festival.

If Sherlock Holmes saw this photo he would no doubt be immediately able to detail my day's activities. Walking boots mean I must have been on a walk, berry stained fingers denote blackberry picking and paper wristband and jingly bell anklet are sure signs that I was at a festival.
 
Festival first, this was the Summer Honey Festival put on by Wainwright's the local honey producers. They sell a number of different pure honeys, most local plus some from Africa. These are the people we get our honey from up at Glaspwll.
The festival was twice as large as last years and very busy. The first field had plenty of free or not too expensive activities for children and a number of festival type food vendors selling food that was interesting. Things like freshly made pizzas, paella, welsh cakes, pancakes, Syrian food and lamb burgers.

And of course plenty of honey and beeswax products from local producers for sale. I tasted a few different honeys but 'hot' honey will not be on my shopping list. Heather honey is far nicer and helped take away the taste of the chillies.
I also tasted a couple of different meads and decided to buy a bottle of the traditional mead as a future gift. But then the chap offered me a voucher and said if I ordered on-line I would get a 10% discount. I asked how I would get the bottle and he said he would deliver it. But, when I got home and went to buy on-line even with 10% off the delivery charge  made it £4 more expensive which was annoying. I have sent a mild complaint to the company saying they had lost themselves a sale.
Inside the warehouse were an impressive number of drums filled with honey.
A group of ladies from Borth, a few of whom I know, performed their amusing bee waggle dance.
This was then followed by a performance by a local band Misha and the Kings. I had heard of them before as one of my friends has booked them for an event she is organising in the autumn. Also they pop up quite frequently on my FB reels. I see the drummer every week as he works in Lidl. Loud, boppy music (they did a cover of The House of the Rising Sun). Although I can't bear background music I find I enjoy most genres of music when they are played live.
The usual walk had been swapped for a visit to the festival so I knew that there would be people from my walking group there to hang out with. At first there were just a couple of the regular walkers but as I wandered around I kept meeting people I also knew from choir, the rowing club, Borth, disco aerobics and unexpectedly riding. 
Not only did I chat to the boss of the riding stables who was there with her mother but I also met a fellow rider who hasn't been coming for the past year as she had a baby last year. She was there with her baby and partner and as her partner isn't a horse person we had a long horsey chat. 

After a couple of hours I said my farewells and went off for a solo walk around Cors Fochno (photos tomorrow and finished by picking 3lbs of blackberries which are now in the freezer.
PS We've just had a light shower which is good but I'm hoping for a dry day tomorrow so that I can finish painting the garage door.

No comments: