Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday, 20 August 2026

Thinking Alike.

It has been a day of bright sun and sudden heavy showers. Just the conditions to change the sea colour to green ( much brighter than in the photos).
This morning (because I really can't cope with surprise plans) Peter told me what he had planned for my 70th. We were going for a short break to ....... St Ives! While for his birthday (and our 50th anniversary) I had booked a holiday in St Ives as well but that will be in the autumn.
This break will be different because Vytas and Sally are also joining us and we will be staying on the other side of the town nearer Porthminster beach. It will be lovely to show them around the place where I spent my early years and with any luck we will get some bodyboarding in. 
Although I later moved to London, St Ives holds a place in my heart, much like the Welsh feeling of hiraeth. We went there for our honeymoon and the year after but then life, children and the very high cost meant we didn't return until 2019 and that was in the motorhome. 
 

In the meantime I've had a day of diy, starting my latest project. After the seagulls started ripping open the recycling bags I began using a large plastic storage tub to put the recycling bag in on collection days. But being outside the UV rays have made the plastic brittle and it has now begun to shatter.
However there is a perfect gap by the side of the porch in which I can build a small wooden store for the recycling. My plan was to use some of the small wooden pallets which are left in the car park in Tal Y Bont by the hall where we sing. They are put there by the printing firm, whose car park we use, and they are happy for anyone to take them. Last night there were a dozen to choose from and after careful consideration I brought home these three.. 
So far I have prised off the blocks from two (not easy when they are nailed together with 4 inch nails)  and already cut one to the right size to make the side of the store. Two of the pallets have heavy polythene under the slats which will keep the rain out and the third with solid wood will be the top. 
I've worked out how I'm going to put it all together and have a list of hinges etc to pick up from Toolstation tomorrow.
In these times when the actions of wars and warmongers are so depressing not to mention the damage we are doing to the planet I came across this uplifting video on FB telling of how the actions of one man started a grass roots movement that has brought written off lands that had turned to desert back to life once more.

No comments: