Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday, 28 August 2026

Still More St Ives.


It seemed odd not to be heading down to the stables this morning but on the other hand it was nice not to be sticking to a schedule. 
At first it looked as if we were going to have another wet day but by the afternoon things brightened up. I didn't bother going to Morrison's this week but just did town and Lidl.
When I got home I unpacked the shopping, cooked up more stewed apples, had a rest and then carried on working on the recycling store. So far I have the side cut to size and all four of the uprights cut so that the top will slope. All those parts have been painted with a random tin of wood preserver to give them a chance to last longer.

Now back to sunny St Ives and Monday - (I've corrected yesterday's typo),
 
Vytas and Sally called in to say goodbye before they set off for their journey home. It had been lovely to have their company. Once they'd left we walked down to town joining the melee of ambling visitors and traffic making our way as quickly as possible up to The Island stopping on the way to buy a couple of pasties for our lunch.

We ate our pasties in the shelter of one of the buildings at the top of the Island as by then the wind was very strong, Pete reckoned force 5, well he is experienced in such things. We also made sure to keep our pasties safe from marauding seagulls. The ones in St Ives will literally swoop down and grab food from your hands if you aren't careful.
After a walk around the Island Pete then headed back to our apartment while I had a leisurely walk around reliving childhood memories.
Of course the harbour beach with the three distinctive arches of Smeaton's Pier had been my main playground being only yards from my home. No adult supervision needed in those days.
Smeaton's Pier was built to shelter the harbour from the force of the wind and the Atlantic waves. The far side is now a popular place for people to sit and watch the waves crashing on the rocks and against the pier.

Eventually I had to take my leave of the sea and head back up busy Fore Street. At least I knew we will be retuning soon otherwise it would have been so hard.
Our dinner that night was the remains of the previous night's take away which was still a large amount. The night was hot and I woke after a few hours eventually getting up and watching the 24 hour news.

No comments: