Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 23 December 2009

Ruta's Travels.

It's still here! However, when I went out to feed the hens it wasn't the soft crunch of powdery snow underfoot but the sharper crunching that immediately tells you that you are walking over a treacherous sheet of ice. With the road being completely iced over there was no way we were going to get the cars out. As I had to get in for my hospital appointment I took up my neighbour's offer of a lift into town. First it was up the hill on the quad bike (see yesterday's picture), then by landrover into town and finally a couple of hours on foot in town. It was quite pleasant to wander around the charity shops looking for extra gifts. Originally I shopped in charity shops because we had little money, now I still like to be thrifty but also I prefer to support the charities and 'recycle' items. Then it was time to make my way to the hospital. As it was pouring with rain I took the bus rather than walk. Then came a VERY long wait for my injection. 3 1/4 hours after my scheduled time I was wheeled into the operating theatre for a 10min procedure. Thank goodness I had been to the library,( I read a whole book while I was waiting) as there was no tv, radio or magazines in my room. Not even a clock to show just how long I had to wait. Just wait until I get my 'customer satisfaction' form that they send out to all patients. It was too dark to contemplate hitching by the time I got out, and I would have had to concoct some sort of story before they would have signed me out so I let them call me a cab. The cab took me along the main road but when he saw the ice on the back roads he declined to go any further and I hadn't expected him to go on anyway. It would have been a lovely walk, no wind and stars shinning in the moonlit sky but I had to go carefully as for a lot of the time the road was iced right over. It was hard to tell which bit of the road was ice or clear and at one point I carefully stepped over the shadow of a tree in the hedge. It took me 1 1/2 hours to walk the 3 miles. I was so hungry when I got home as I hadn't eaten since breakfast. Luckily there was a lovely meal waiting for me when I got home.
Oh, and they told me to take it easy for a couple of days !

No comments: