Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 4 September 2021

Sunny.

A sunny day with a surprisingly warm wind blowing from the east. 
After hanging out the washing on the line I took myself for a walk along the beach and yes, I did go to the High Street to see the state of the burned house. Last night it took until 11.00 before the smoke stopped, it had looked unreal in the glare of floodlights against the night sky. The High Street remained closed until mid-morning once the Fire Services were sure everything was fully out. According to the news there were 30 fire fighters with their vehicles from six nearby towns.
Even from the beach it was obvious that the house had suffered major damage.
The back of the house has basically gone. It's amazing how the fire fighters kept the fire from spreading to the cottage next door. I'm assuming from the way the workmen putting up the scaffolding were standing on its roof that there wasn't major structural damage to that property. I did walk through to the High Street but although I could have gone into the pub carpark to take photos of the back of the house where the main damage was I felt that would have been too intrusive. The family that lived there has lost everything and sadly some of their pets too. Somebody has already set up a FundMe page to help with their initial needs as we all know how slow insurance companies can be. 
On the way back along the beach I stopped to chat to the lifeguard on the beach. At the time there were just two paddleboarders and two youngsters in the water so I didn't think I was distracting him from his duties. With the end of summer and the school holidays tomorrow is the last day the lifeguards will be on the beach. He also told me that there aren't any rip currents on this beach which is good to know when guests head for the sea.
Back home I cleaned off the whole length of hose leaving it to dry before winding it back on the reel. Then, not wanting to waste my bucket of water and bleach I scrubbed a plastic bench that we'd found in the back garden. Now instead of an old, faded plastic bench covered with black mould spots we have an old faded plastic bench. Unfortunately I did find a small break in the seat but it should last for a few more years. The good thing about the back garden is that it is sheltered from the wind but on the other hand being so close to the neighbours we get to hear their tv or radio.
It got sunnier and warmer as the afternoon went on so while Peter went off to row I sat out on the terrace reading. No telling how many more lovely days there will be so might as well enjoy them while we can. I ironed the bedding after Peter came home and we'd had a cuppa out on the terrace.

 

No comments: