Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 15 September 2021

Zoo Day.

It took a while for the morning mist to burn off but then we were back to sunshine once more. While it was very hot in the sun the cold inland mist kept trying to creep forward.
The builder's lads turned up nice and early and spent the day working up in the loft but there was no sign of the boss and nothing more happened with the front of the house.
Being Wednesday I spent the morning working at the zoo. I'm trying to keep on top of the weeding in the places I've already done so today I went over with those areas pulling out the weeds that had suddenly shot up. After two hours of weeding on my knees I moved to the woodchip in the play area using my hoe to minimise the bending down. That gave me a chance to fill in the dips and loosen up the wood chips trying not to leave it looking like a ploughed field. There were a few visitors to the zoo, more than I expected now that the schools have gone back. 
Above is another new addition, a giant rabbit. He/she? measures about two feet from nose tip to his/her bottom. I seem to remember the giant rabbit that was brought on a school visit was even bigger and very docile. Hopefully this one will be too.
The gang of ordinary sized rabbits in the meerkat enclosure (they're off-site) have plenty of dry food to eat but obviously prefer the 'snacks' of cabbage and carrots that people can buy to feed them because as soon as they saw me they came hopping over.
When I got home, after a rest sitting out in the sun on the terrace I did a little work in the back garden. The space in the centre of the photo where one of the greenhouses stood is where I hope to make a herb garden around the central slabs. I bagged up all the fine gravel that was around the slabs but underneath is a concrete base. I'm hoping that I'll be able to break through the concrete to create some growing beds.

 

No comments: