Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 11 August 2023

Warm.

We've had more warmth today and some blue skies. And a couple of light showers in the afternoon that were over almost before they had begun which had me bringing in the washing from the line and hanging it up in the utility room.
I didn't have a very good night as I must have done too much bouncing around on my knees at aerobics but I still managed to wake five minutes before the alarm went off at 8.00. The reason for the alarm was that I had a riding lesson in the morning. I didn't need to leave until 10.00 but I like to have a couple of hours to wake up, have breakfast and get everything done before going out.
I rode Alice again (or maybe its the Welsh version - Alys?), she seems to be the dependable one and I'm not complaining. It was all about trotting today and although I found myself still getting puffed at least my back is coping better with sitting trot. I asked if I could do some work without stirrups and I found that slightly easier than with them. Next time I shall be going on a one hour hack though to my chagrin it's a walk and trot hack. I hadn't cantered yet with today's instructor and she wants to do some canter work in a lesson first. Oh the ignominy.
After my lesson I stopped and bought some eggs from a box on the lane. It was only a choice of duck eggs or bantam eggs so for fun I bought the bantam eggs. From there I headed into town to do the supermarket shopping. Being earlier in the day the traffic wasn't too bad, at least until I got to Morrisons car park which was teeming with vehicles with queues to get in and out. They've more or less wound down the outside 'garden centre' but from the plant corner inside the supermarket I bought a pink spirea, not sure yet where that's going and four tiny aubretia plants for £1.25 each which I've put along the front of the raised bed by the lawn. With such a limited choice of plants to buy locally it's a matter of grab them when you find them. I swung by Charlie's as well where there are a few more plants and in their half price corner I found two pots of cultivated sheep's bit scabious, an alpine with blue pincushion flowers that has been on my wish list for a long time. They've gone in the bed next to the pond.
Next stop was the centre of town where a trawl of the charity shops yielded a crystal sphere, a bit more sparkly than my usual finds but just right for the hall window, and some wool. I knew that eventually I'd find some in the kitchen/sea colours, no fun in just going to the wool shop. Now I can knit a new cosy for the cafetiere to replace the current slightly loose blue and white cosy made to match the kitchen colours at Dingles. 
Back home I did some gardening and more work on the garden gate. I hand cut a curved piece of wood to strengthen the top then glued and nailed it on. After sanding down all the rough edges I'd hoped to find something to stain and preserve the wood amongst the many tins in the garage but there was nothing suitable. If only I'd thought about it before I went into town I could have got something. Now it means an extra trip or Amazon.
The front garden is full of fledglings at the moment. Not only were the tiny wrens calling at the top of their voices much to Speedy's frustration but this young robin seemed to be waiting for the parent birds to come and feed it and a bit later a young dunnock sat in the hedge peeping plantively.


 

No comments: