Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 12 August 2023

Warm.

Lots of rain this morning. So much so that at one point we could hardly see anything through the windows, not the mountains nor even the beach. There was heavy swell and plenty of hopeful but I think mostly disappointed surfers. And then it was all change for the afternoon with just a few fluffy clouds dotting the sky.
I slept very well last night unlike Peter who for once was kept awake by my loud snoring and then poor chap he got woken up several times more. I think the changing weather has affected my sinuses as I don't usually snore loudly. With it looking to be a wet day I planned some indoor jobs. Then when the rain eased up at midday I took a chance, went out gardening and from then on the day just got sunnier and hotter. That gave me the time to have a sort out of the pebbled patch and make beds for the montbretia next to the pond. Originally the pebbled patch had a thick layer of fine gravel with round pebbles on top. Over the years the pebbles got mixed in with the gravel and where weeds grew a lot of soil has mixed in with the gravel too. To keep the montbretia from spreading I've dug in a row of bricks, behind those went the gravel + soil mixture and elsewhere I'm working on keeping the pebbles on the surface. The montbretia came from a clump at the bottom of the garden. I expect they'll die back soon but by next spring they'll be nicely established. I've got my eye on some Shasta daisies in a friend's garden and I'm sure she'll let me have some in the autumn. They'll go next to the montbretia, I got the idea when I saw that combination by somebody's gate a couple of weeks ago and thought how good it looked.
It was far too nice to be inside so for my break I sat out on the terrace and knitted a test piece for the cafetiere cosy. All I have to do now is work out how many stitches to cast on and then away I can go. After that the garden tempted me again and I did more weeding and cutting back. 
Fingers crossed that the clouds clear tonight as it's the peak time for the Perseid meteor shower but I fear that yet again I'll be out of luck.
 

No comments: