Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 30 August 2018

Warmer.

A much brighter and considerably warmer day tempted me to walk to town. That's the first time for over four weeks, partly due to the wet weather and partly due to not really needing anything. Today I had to pick up Patch's medicine from the vets' which is three quarters of the way to town anyway. I did have a few things on my list to get but mainly I ambled in and out of the shops keeping an eye open for more plain everyday vests. The ones I've been wearing at home are frayed, faded and stained and need to go into the textiles bin at the recycling centre. Didn't find any as the larger shops now have their autumn ranges on display. It looks as if mustard, olive and brown are this season's colours which are not my colours at all.
I had a good wander around the Pannier Market which today had craft/ decorative items stalls some of which were very interesting.

Pyrography and handmade soft toys caught my eye. The best fudge ever is made in front of you in the little shop just out of sight to the right of the entrance archway.
Heady incense perfumed the stall selling handmade goods from India. 
Quite a few stalls selling original art works and prints of varying qualities. 
I thought these oversized umbrellas  were fun. I was almost tempted to buy one for the camper (useful for running to the showers) but decided a golf umbrella would be a bit sturdier.
A lass dressed in a steampunk outfit runs this stall which had a lot of ornamental dragons and skulls.
 More art.
And finally some sweet felted children's slippers from India. There were other felted items including some mats for putting under hot dishes that looked like pom-poms all joined together.
It warmed up a lot while I was in town and once I got home we sat outside for a while. By sunset the sky was clear and the sun slipped behind the hill in a golden haze.
On my way home, walking up the alley by the church a man was sanding down the old paintwork on a door in the high stone wall there. As I walked along he said he'd wait until I'd gone past before carrying on with his sanding so I didn't get covered in dust. I mentioned that it was interesting to see what was on the other side of the wall and he very kindly invited me in to have a better look at his garden. It was stunning! Mature trees and shrubs around terraced lawns took the eye right across town to the hills beyond. No wonder he was proud of it but I felt it would be rude to ask to take a photo. I think it was originally part of the grounds of the very grand residence that has recently been bought for £600k and is being fully restored by the new owners including restoring the original cob walls along the alley and the high wrought iron gates across the curving drive. I've looked at these large old properties on google maps and wondered what they are like. 

2 comments:

happyone said...

Oh that garden must have been so nice to see. Maybe he would have taken it as a compliment that you wanted to take a picture. : )
Those colors don't sound very pleasing to me either.
I'd love to take a walk up and down all the stalls.
How far is the walk to town?
Fudge, I'd like a piece about now!!!

Ruta M. said...

I don't walk very fast, faster on the way in which is downhill and it takes me 15 minutes to get to the bottom of the High Street. I think it takes me longer on the way home especially after wandering in and out of the shops but I don't bother wearing a watch most of the time. Roly's fudge is crumbly and melt in the mouth unlike most of the fudge you can buy. They do a lot of flavours but I like clotted cream vanilla and maple walnut.