Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 1 January 2024

Happy New Year.

I just about stayed awake until midnight last night and went out on the terrace to watch a fireworks display down at Ynyslas which was quite far away and a few very large fireworks being set off near or on the beach at our end. Some neighbours walked down to watch the fireworks and we wished each other Happy New Year in Welsh and English. That was how we celebrated the turn of the year.
I think that appreciating what we have is a key to being happy, at least it is for me and that is what I shall try to do this year. 
While browsing through 'images' looking for suitable quotes I was saddened by the number that mentioned 'wealth' as something to be desired. What kind of a society values excess money on a par with family, friendship or health? So sad to see people thinking that way.
The day began dry with more blue in the sky than we've seen for a while. While I've loved having the Christmas decorations up it was time for them to be packed away. As it wasn't raining I began by taking down the larger driftwood tree at the bottom of the garden. With the wood and shells put away in the garage I decided to make the most of the dry spell and stayed out to do some gardening. First a quick weeding of the existing beds and then I made a start on digging up the mini meadow. Ideally I would pull up the weeds and bag them  ready to be taken to be recycled as garden waste at the dump. However with the soil being so wet and not wanting to be taking a fair proportion of soil along with the weeds I'm going to start by digging out the weeds and then leaving them in a heap for the soil to dry out or as seems more likely wash out, before disposing of the weeds. I prefer clearing up as I go along but I'll give this way a try.
The rain returned in the afternoon while I took down and put away all the indoor decorations. I was just thinking that I hadn't left anything out this year when I glanced at the sink and saw the last few decorations I'd hung in that window. Bother.
The surfers were out again in force today. I watched them gently bobbing up and down, there were no waves worth catching but I guess they still enjoyed themselves. I spent my afternoon carrying on knitting a new cosy for the cafetiere. I've already got a plan formulating for another crocheted throw this time for our sofa. Much smaller and based on greys. I came across grey wool quite frequently in the charity shops, perhaps from people who had been knitting school jumpers or cardigans? But I shan't start until the cosy is finished. 

 

3 comments:

thelma said...

Happy New Year Ruta. You are such a busy bee, always filling your time with things to do, though I must admit I cannot sit idle for long and now have 3 knitting bags with things to do inside.
I am fascinated by you going riding, which is quite an expensive hobby. Are you thinking of owning a horse at some stage? Anyway have a good year and make some resolutions along the way, even if you do not keep them.

Ruta M. said...

While I can sit outside for hours planning my next move in the garden in general I get very twitchy if I can't see that I've achieved something , however small, each day. Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing. It took me a while to decide to go back to riding after 25 years and yes it is the most expensive of my activities. Paying for 10 lessons at a time it works out at £22 for an hour's lesson (or hack). I don't drink or go out for meals and my other activities are either free or very cheap which is how I justify the cost. I've no plans to own my horse having neither the money or the physical ability to do so much as I would love to ride more often. In my twenties I looked after and exercised other people's horses in the East End with as much riding as I could fit in around part time teaching but now I'm just going to keep on as long as money and body hold out. Might as well do stuff now than have regrets later on. Would love to see how your knitting projects are getting on.

thelma said...

Well I can see why you do not own a horse, too expensive but it must be lovely to be able to ride in the Welsh countryside. As for my knitting bags, one holds Lopi wool, which is rather rough and I am not too sure what to knit with it. The next one has John Arbon wool, being knitted into hats. It is rather an expensive wool but interesting. The third one has miscellany in it.