Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 20 April 2024

Slab Cutting.

It's been sunny all day long. The first photos were taken before breakfast and and the last at about 6pm.

At last everything was in place for Peter to do a day of paving slab cutting. Up till now it's either been the weather or his arthritis that meant the work couldn't be done. (The cutter is too heavy for me to use.) Before Peter could get started I had to chip away a concrete ridge from about half of the slabs. Knowing that there would be lots of concrete dust everywhere I covered over not only the pond but the plant beds around the pond and the rockery. It was good that I did that as the red dust went everywhere. Just a shame that I hadn't noticed that the plastic dust sheet I put over the pond had dried paint on it. When I took it off there were lots of white paint flecks floating around on the water. It took a while to fish out the majority of the white specks.
Once all the slabs had been cut it was my job to lay them as best as I could. The ones in front of the rockery are on sand which was relatively easy. The rest of the paving isn't perfectly level so my amateur efforts don't stand out and it is good to have the gap filled.
There were also two spaces by the steps that needed slabs cut to size and one of the stone stepping stones in the shingle needed squaring off. That done I could finish planting the thyme and thrift in the shingle and I brought some more lamb's ears round from the back garden. Tidying up afterwards was my hardest job of the day. I swept up as much of the dust as I could and made a start of tidying the remaining oddments on the paving.
The first clematis have begun to flower in the back garden though Thursday's frost caught some of the petal edges.
Evening sun.

 

No comments: