Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 6 May 2024

Warm-ish.

I woke this morning hoping for another summer's day but when I saw grey skies I guessed that it wasn't to be. As I was feeling tired and groggy I fed Speedy and then went back to sleep for a couple of hours. By the time I got up, and took the top photo, there was already a hint of blue in the sky and from then on things got quite a lot better. 
As I had rushed off to Cae Hir yesterday morning we had our croissants and Archers breakfast this morning making breakfast was a leisurely affair. My first job after breakfast was to lower the top corner shelf. All by hand as I can't manage using a drill to put in or take out screws. I'm still going to have to shorten the curtains but I think the shelves look better now. 
Next job was to tidy the empty dumpy bags in the garage. I'll keep a couple just 'in case' but the rest can go to the zoo.
And then I got to do more gardening, nearly all the new plants are now in situ and a few more dug up from the  back garden. Just one almost flowering aquilegia which I didn't have the heart to dig up remains in the tomato bed. My last outside job was to sand down and paint black a gatepost in the garden. 
Give the shingle garden a year or two to fill out and it should look quite lovely.

I bought this plant on last year's visit to Cae Hir. There was a reduction if you bought three plants which is why I picked it but I can't remember what it is called. Looks very pretty though.
The fennel is coming on nicely and should help give the neighbours some privacy in their sitting room.
I was having my end of day coffee on the terrace when I spotted the tell-tale splash of a gannet's dive.
Sure enough there were a pair of gannets diving for fish on the far side of the reef. Hopefully if the fish have returned we should be seeing the dolphins again.


A nosey seagull peering at me from the kitchen roof. Luckily the seagulls here are not the thugs you get in some places but I don't welcome them in the garden.

 

2 comments:

lea said...

At first I thought your flower might be a perennial centaurea but it doesn't have that patterned base below the flower. However while looking at an online seed catalog that I order from, I saw it- Mammoth Sandwich Island Salsify/Tragopogon porrifolius. It's an edible root.

Ruta M. said...

Thank you for that information. I've looked it up and see that it is a biennial which is a shame but that it does self seed.