Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 1 May 2024

Market Day.

After a very sunny start to the day the clouds gathered giving us an overcast but thankfully still dry day.
For a change we held our Welsh practice session on  Wednesday rather than a Monday to fit in with everybody's commitments. 
This had the advantage of being in Mach for the weekly market the earliest record of which is in 1291. Peter even got up extra early so that I could have time to wander round the market first as by the time we finish in the library the market is packing up.
The market is a lot bigger during the summer months but I enjoyed looking at the different stalls. There were some plant stalls, mostly bedding and hanging basket plants and the one perennial I might have bought was already in somebody's hands. I did get batteries put in two of my Swatch watches as the market stall is cheaper than going to the jewellers for replacement batteries.
Naturally I also checked out the charity shops and found a couple of items for my glass collection. I've got quite choosy now but the crystal decanter stopper (£1.50) and the chunky tea light holder (£2) caught my eye. After our usual rowdy session in the library I called in at the Royal House coffee shop to buy some of their lovely treats for us to enjoy over the next few days. These were; a custard slice, spicy crumbed chicken fillets and two kinds of lasagne one with mozzarella and one with mushrooms. Their portions are so filling I find that half of one is quite enough at a time. Especially if followed by half of the custard slice though today I just had one piece of chicken with a slice of a lentil, carrot and cheese bake I'd made earlier in the week.
As soon as we got home I went and painted the undersides of the shelves with white gloss and then went out to do some gardening in the back garden. Last year I foolishly left a small patch of three cornered leek and now there were clumps of seedlings nearby. It's such an invasive plant it's illegal to dispose of it in the wild. I've got rid of all the plants (I hope), large and small and even threw out some of the Michaelmas daisy only replanting the bits I could get to a bare root stage. My final gardening job was digging over the bed where the tomatoes will go when they are ready to go out. 
My day finished with an evening of singing with the choir. It was raining again when we came out to go home.
And now for the latest flowers in the house and garden. 
Aquilegias have self seeded all over the garden creating a lovely cottage garden feel in the borders and raised beds. Many of them are a deep purple which I think is nicer than the washed out pink they seemed to revert to at Dingles. 

I leave a few of the red valerian as it's such a pretty plant and good for butterflies and other wildlife.


The Love-in-a-mist looks pretty even before the flowers open.
Clematis in the back garden.
 

No comments: