Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 21 February 2010

Clear Skies.

We never know what the weather is going to be like when we wake up these days. Today it was a sprinkling of snow with some crunchy ice which soon melted. It looked as though we were in for rain but once we got to Barricane Beach the sun had come out. Plenty of people were out on the beach enjoying the good weather. The sea was full of kayakers taking advantage of the more settled waves, not many surfers.
A lot of extra shingle had been thrown up onto the beach, at least an extra foot deep across the central part. This made it easy for me to climb out on the rocks to explore the high level rock pools.


With all the new shells on the beach we had a good look for the little purple shells, some kind of oyster species, that I have been using in my jewellery making. It's very hard to tear your eyes away from the ground once you start looking, there always might be another shell or piece of sea glass to pick up.
The air was so clear that it was possible to see individual buildings on Lundy, even with the naked eye. That's 11 miles away! I took some really zoomed in pictures but they were a little too fuzzy to use. (Click on the pictures for more detail.)

Also slightly fuzzy but impressive at 30 miles away is Swansea with the snow covered Brecon Beacons a further 15 miles away.

As we drove home it was so warm we had the car windows open , coats off and sunglasses on. We did shut the windows once we were up high on the hill. To the north we could see right across the Bristol Channel to Wales, and the snow covered Welsh mountains and to the west the hills of Exmoor also had their covering of snow.
Once home I managed some time outside in the garden weeding up by the scree garden where I can work from the paved areas. Dancing On Ice completes our evening and then it's an early night before the start of another working week. I have really enjoyed being at home this week and feel that I am getting somewhere with all the gardening.

2 comments:

Elora said...

Once again, your pix are so inviting! Wish I could zip over the ocean and beachcomb with you. I know what you mean about not looking up once you've gotten hooked on looking for unusual shells. There's always the possibility......when I was little, people implied that there was potentially a real fortune on the beach if you could find a pile of ambergris. And what was that? Well....it's a greyish greasy substance, produced in the intestine of the sperm whale which is eventually expelled by the whale. So, from time to time, it's washed up on the beach and, I was told as a child, that one could possibly find this substance. Of course, I never really knew WHAT it looked like, as I had never seen any...but there was always that possibility. Since it was used by the perfume industry, it was very very rare, and consequently, if one were to find it, great wealth would accrue! I was always "looking for ambergris" but never found a single thing that looked remotely like what I imagined! I would be right by your side, Ruta, looking for those lovely shells!

Oh, and the clouds in your first image, today! Beautiful!! We are getting rain today. Going to be a mess!

Elora

Domestic Executive said...

I know what you mean about having time to get stuck in with things in the garden. Now I'm back to work I'm missing pottering around and ticking off the list of things. Now we're jamming in it all in at weekends. I bet this unsettled weather is driving you nuts!