Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 6 February 2010

A Frog He Would A Wooing Go.

All week long, as I've been working outside , the frogs have been croaking away in the pond. As soon I wander over to have a look they disappear into the mud with a great flurry of amphibian limbs. Today I crept up the steps and got some photos of them ........ doing what frogs do in the spring. As well as their croaking the air has been full of the sound of bird song; the high pitched chinking of finches, the melodious song of the blackbird and many others & of course the mad quacking of the call duck. My constant presence outside is annoying the jackdaws who keep moving from one side of the house to another but keeping a safe distance so they won't be 'shot'. Once in a while a scout would fly over but there I was , on my hands and knees, weeding on the hillside. How long I wonder before they decide to go and nest somewhere else? It's been another sunny day so I got plenty of work done. In order to motivate myself I wrote a list on my kitchen whiteboard, of all the various tasks that need doing in the garden. By the time I had finished I wasn't so much motivated as horrified by the length of the list. Perhaps it'll be better when a few more things have been ticked off. In general I like lists especially when I can work my way through them. I have this desire to get things DONE but I am very easily diverted from the task in hand so having that goal in front of me does help. Looking forward to an evening of easy tv by a nice wood fire.
One annoying thing today. Along with our letters the postman delivered a card from the Post Office. This card tells us that a letter could not be delivered because it did not have sufficient postage paid. I have to pay the excess on line before they will deliver the letter. The fee for this is £1. And the underpayment was ....... 8p, someone must be a real 'job's worth' to hold a letter back for such a nominal ammount.

4 comments:

Domestic Executive said...

The cicadas have finally arrived so when you talked of your frogs it made me think of them. No point trying to hunt them though. I know how you feel about lists. We've used our blackboard to chalk up the summer chores. It's been depressing but I ticked (or rather wiped)off a few things this week so it feels like progress. Small steps but we're getting there. Keep focus and you'll be fine.

Julie said...

what a bummer about the post office... that stinks. I hate it when our post man doesn't deliver our packages and just puts a slip in our mailbox because he doesn't want to carry it to us. Then we have to go stand in line forever waiting to get it!!!

Ruta M. said...

Even though I was able to pay on-line it was a real nuisance, first I had to register with the post office only to discover that I was already registered, had to get an email to remind me of the password I'd used because of course I had forgotten it and then the same with the bank card. We do have a lovely postman though. Because of our rural location he drives up to the house in his little red van and will pass the time of day. He even take letters that I want to send. If we are out he just opens the door and leaves letters & parcels in the porch. I don't even mind getting junk mail because it is the money from those that keeps the postal service viable.

Elora said...

Your pictures were simply heartbreaking. Imagine! Frogs, green stems and liquid water! Here on the East Coast (more or less) we've reverted to the Ice Age, with another 15 inches of snow on the ground!!! Your pictures, Ruta, were actually heartening. So, there is life after winter, eh! Cute post all around! Thanks much!
Elora