Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 7 February 2010

Not So Sunny Sunday.

It has been much greyer and damper today. We still went out for a walk around Morte Point. Fewer people out today, just a couple of groups of older walkers - a club or U3A? (Peter did point out that we are not exactly young ourselves.)
There were plenty of sheep around, unconcerned by the steep cliffs and swirling sea below. I suppose sheep brains don't really contemplate such dangers. David Kennard who farms these sheep chose this type of sheep as they are more placid and less likely to fall down the cliffs. People are supposed to keep their dogs on the lead when walking around the Point but some holiday makers have no brains and think it amusing to see their dog chasing the sheep around. David Kennard is an interesting young man (he gave a talk to our WI), who originally came here on farm holidays with his family and by sheer determination now farms here for the National Trust. He has written several books and made a film about one of his sheepdogs - Mist. He trains sheepdogs and runs , I think 5, at the same time , each dog having its own set of commands.

Usually when we round the Point we walk from chill shade to warm sun but today it was all grey and damp. The surf was 3-5ft and clean at Woolacombe & Puts so there were plenty of surfers out in the water. I'm a warm weather body boarder but Romas would tog up in his winter wetsuit, hood and gloves and be out there whenever he could persuade me that I needed a walk along the beach.
I put in a couple of hours weeding this afternoon simply because I am determined to get the main hillside finished. This year I'm really getting all the weeds out unlike last year when it was a lick and a polish. Today I discovered my arch enemy - bindweed, pretty flowers but what a horrible weed. It spreads and smothers and spreads. Leaving the smallest scrap of those nasty spaghetti-like roots in the ground starts the cycle all over again. When my neighbour filled in the swimming pool with stuff he was digging out to build his house there was a lot of bindweed in it. That is one of the reasons why it took me 18 months to trench my way across the whole area removing every last root and consigning them the dustbin. Today's discovery was confined to a small area so hopefully I've got it all out.
Peter has made a big potato, cabbage & cheese casserole for our supper. We called in at Tesco's to get a white cabbage on our way home and got a lot of bargains (nice breads, bagels, beef, sausages, cold meats, cottage cheese, lettuce & bananas ) reduced by 75% so the freezer and the fridge are full again. I keep trying to use up what we have in our large chest freezer but it is sensible to buy bargains when I see them. Looking forward to the casserole and Dancing on Ice.

No comments: