Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 14 February 2010

Solo Beach Walk.

Happy Valentine's Day. I did go for a walk on the beach but it wasn't our usual weekend stroll. Peter had to spend most of the day getting a tyre changed. Every time he had been to get it done previously either they didn't have the tyre or there was 4 hour wait but now the tread had gone to the limit and he could be faced with a big fine and points on his licence if it wasn't sorted. By the time he got home he needed to do some OU work. It's our fortnightly dustbin collection to morrow and I had to drive the rubbish up to the road so I decided carry on to the beach. It's nicer to walk in company but I also like being on my own and not causing anyone to have to wait for me as I stop to take pictures.
When I got to Woolacombe the place was heaving. The bright sunshine and perhaps the date had brought everyone and his dog out. (And of course it is the start of the half-term holiday.) I expect that we can expect similar numbers as it gets warmer bringing people out for a post Sunday dinner walk. I have to admit to preferring fewer crowds around. We'll have to head for the high cliffs and the more remote beaches as people start coming to the area for their holidays. Today was reasonably warm and I saw a fair number of younger people in t-shirts including one couple 'in lurve' paddling in the sea with their trousers rolled up. Love must make you immune to the cold.

There was very little wind and the sea was calm. Even though we keep visiting the same beaches the character changes depending on the weather and the tide and there is always something new to see. Note the number of foot prints on the sand from so many beach visitors.


Today there was a large flock of seagulls out on the rocks. They were only common black headed gulls but their colour and smooth lines made them stand out against the grey rocks.

The sun had started to go down as I left for home. I stopped on the road out to capture the sunset over the sea.

And then again from a high point near Berrydown. Hartland Point (the headland in the background), must be a good 10 miles away across the sea. I like the way this little patch of sky looked as if it were on fire.

1 comment:

happyone said...

I too would rather walk where there aren't a lot of people. That's why I usually don't walk around my lake on the weekends.
Lovely pictures.