Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 13 January 2024

Building Plans.

A dry, mostly grey day with the occasional flash of sunlight.

James our builder, came this morning as promised to talk about the next lot of work. The most pressing issue is the condensation in the loft. After much discussion the conclusion is that the main problem is hot (and therefore moist) air coming up through the gaps around the ill fitting loft hatch in the bathroom ceiling and he is going to deal with that first. Insulating under the roof timbers wouldn't be an easy job as there should be an air gap between any insulation and the bitumen paper under the roof tiles so for the moment that isn't an option. After all that came the fun job of discussing the structure of the porch. It's to be an enclosed porch with a sliding door and a pitched roof. Beyond that I'm not too bothered apart from not wanting a polycarbonate roof and am happy to follow the builder's advice as to the best structure to withstand the strong winds that can blow in from the sea.
This afternoon I fixed the last two bits of wood to the wardrobe. I thought it would be a simple matter of a couple of screws and a few nails but as usual there were complications. The main stumbling block was that the two doors in the top cupboard came down too low and were catching on the bar. I had to cut tiny wedges to lower the position of the bar that goes across and then somewhere along the line something went skew whiff  and it's a bit messy if you look from behind. But all looks fine from the front and I was able to punch in the nail heads and fill in the dips. I got so fed up of not having a nail punch and having to use a big cut nail that I've ordered a cheap set of nail punches for future use. I continued with my search for muslin or light fabric for the curtain and now realise that I already reused the muslin from the big curtains when I made 'nets' for our bedroom and my study. I'm still hoping that I will come across the fabric we had across our wardrobes in Dingles. In the meantime I found a large polyester net curtain which will need washing once I've sewn on the header tape.
Earlier I watched a male blackbird having a good wash in the birdbath, of course the camera wasn't to hand while he was splashing about so here he is all spruced up after his bath.
 

No comments: