Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 22 January 2024

Windy.

Storm Isha arrived at around 9.00 last night with plenty of rain but we escaped the full force of the wind as it continued to blow from a south westerly direction. It's the north or north westerly winds that blow directly towards us and cause the most damage. It did look as if part of the village lost their electricity for a while in the evening but we were unaffected. This  article and video shows some of the effects of the storm country wide. Sadly two people lost their lives, both due to fallen trees. Just to be sure we pulled the sofa across the French doors and a blanket box up against the kitchen door. That stopped me from worrying in the night.
We had to be up in good time this morning as we were meeting our friends a bit earlier at the library. Today we went through the homework and began to look at the next unit before ending with translating another book. This one seemed a lot easier than the one about Wynne Evans which was good for our confidence. 
Before leaving Mach I had my usual look around the charity shops and found another paperweight for my collection. 
By the time we drove home the sun had appeared and as it was still very windy I thought it would be worth getting some washing done so it could go out on the line. However that was not to be as by the time the machine had finished the black clouds which had been looming overhead dropped a veritable deluge of rain. Thank goodness we have the utility room to hang the washing up in.
But that was after I had had a lovely breezy walk on the beach. Across the bay there were roaring breakers as far as the eye could see.
In the rock pools a lone oystercatcher was searching for cockles (that's what the RSPB says they eat). I sometimes see them up on the grassy cliff presumably looking for worms and insects. Seagulls often stamp on the grass to bring the worms to the surface.
Once again I had the wind in my back as I walked up the beach and it was harder walking back against the wind. Not stinging rain at least though I had taken the precaution of having a neck warmer pulled up to my nose. 

 

No comments: