Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 8 January 2024

Cold.

A very cold day. There was a little sun in the morning but before long it had clouded over leaving us with a miserable afternoon. I had to scrape ice from the car windscreen before we could set out for Mach but although we could see some frost in the fields there were no signs of snow up on the mountains.
At the library we had our usual fun time going through the next zoom lesson. Having mastered using 'my' with its accompanying nasal mutations we will be going on to 'your'. But not with the same mutations. 'Your' plural/formal causes no mutation at all while 'your' informal singular causes a soft mutation. One of the exercises we will be doing is to read a short conversation written using 'your' plural and then change it to 'your' informal. It was at that point we realised why certain words had been used in what had seemed a rather stilted conversation. Much laughter ensued as we tried to say sentences containing the phrases (phonetic version) ; duh day dee, duh day dig dee, duh daay dee, duh dad dee and duh daay dee tar. These translate, in no particular order as - your black tie, your dad and your house. If we get paired up with each other I don't think we'll be able to do any work since we'll be laughing too much.
I didn't get a lot of sleep last night so my plans for when we returned home were to - do my Duo Lingo which I did, fill the holes and cracks in the new wardrobe and then have a nice rest on the sofa with tea, biscuits and the latest episode of Call the Midwife. But before I could start filling holes I needed to remove several layers of wallpaper in the narrow spaces between the wardrobe doors and before that I had to deal with the outside drain. Water from the kitchen sink was overflowing down the garden path as the drain was blocked. I togged up in my warm gardening clothes to deal with the drain but luckily a quick poke got the water flowing away. That drain is like the U-bend in a toilet with water in to stop fumes from the system coming back up and as that water still looked mucky I threw some caustic soda in to break up any grease. When that's had a few days to rinse away I'll don my black drain gloves and check that nothing has fallen into the drain. With all those extra things to do it took me all afternoon to finish applying filler to the wardrobe and then scraping off the loose stuff with no time left to watch television.
Instead I had a skim through FB where I saw a report about our local hospital where a car had fallen off the car park and through the building wall into a ward. Nobody was hurt but it must have been very frightening for everyone. No reason has been given though as it happened first thing this morning ice might have been a factor. 
And in the absence of anything else to post here are a few more photos from yesterday.



 

No comments: