Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 5 June 2010

The End Of A Short Relationship.

I'm afraid that the pressure washer and I have fallen out. After so many hours spent bonding together this morning after one hour of transforming the paved area my trusty friend failed me. It had been a little hesitant from the first day we were together but always got going after a while. Finally today the water was pressurised no more. Simply lots of juddering and spitting of water but not sufficient to do the job. I conscientiously checked the connections, water flow etc even gave the thing a complete rest but no go. And by the time I had decided that this was the end of our relationship the mid-day closing time of the hire shop had passed and I can do nothing until Monday morning. It was a tad irritating to see one side of the paving looking forlorn and grey with the other sides looking so much better. It would only have taken one afternoon to complete the job. Instead I got out the lawnmower and cut all the grass as it looks as if we are coming to the end of this warm sunny spell. It was dry all day today but cloudy and much cooler than the last few days.
We've just returned from one of our rare nights out. I'm a bit of a stay-at-home and by this afternoon I was thinking that I would much prefer to stay home watching Casualty & then an early night but I'm glad I didn't. Peter had managed to get hold of tickets to the local 'Stars in Their Eyes'. With only 120 seats allowed in the hall the tickets are like gold dust. I didn't know any of the performers personally this year but we sat at a table with some of my work colleagues and many of Peter's friends were there as well. The combination of good acts (some very talented & some simply brave), an excellent compere, good sound system and copious amounts of alcohol made for an enjoyable night and we finally rolled out of the door at midnight. Needless to say I stuck to diet coke and nibbled on pretzels which are a relatively low calorie snack. The winner gave a very creditable rendition of 'Son of a Preacher Man' as sung by Dusty Springfield.
Addendum to previous post on the Enclosure Acts. I thought wikki had got the dates a bit late for the Enclosure Acts and after double checking I see that the original Acts were as early as the 13thC but did continue up into the 18th C as more and more common land /commonly farmed land was appropriated by those in power.

3 comments:

Domestic Executive said...

I find hire shop tools notoriously shonky - shame you didn't get finished but perhaps a quiet day is in order after your late night outing. I'm like a homing pigeon these days - went to the cinema in the week and still trying to overcome the "late" night!

Catching the Magic said...

Glad you had a lovely evening. I can't envisage me going out in the evening for a looooong time, but I have no desire to either at the moment. I'm enjoying mostly early nights, rugged up at home.

Ruta M. said...

Julie - The pressure washer was from Jewsons, the builders' merchants, but I expect that people hiring use the equipment to the limit - as I did.I'm going to run the cable up top again and give it one more chance. Luckily I'm not back at school till Tuesday but if the weather's bad I'll have to arrange to have a pressure washer for the weekend.

Sarah - When the children were little apart from my weekly afternoon childswap with my best friend we only went out alone once a year when my friend would come and baby sit. Everything else was done as a family and we were perfectly happy that way. It's still quite hard to persuade me to leave my home and have a night out. Now that I'm only working part-time I should get back into going to my monthly WI meetings but I'll wait until I know what is happening at work after the summer.