Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 14 June 2010

Odd Eyes.

Peter and I drove down to Exeter this afternoon as we both had check ups on our eyes after the laser surgery. My left eye is a bit down which is why I was having a check up a year after the surgery. The slight difference in my left eye is allowing me to read things a few feet away which I would lose if I have more surgery in that eye. I have three choices, have the surgery and lose all close vision, keep the different eyes (this was one of the original options offered as some people prefer to keep some close vision) or think about it and review things in a year. We have full lifetime care so there is no more payment to consider. At the moment it is quite useful to use a pc or read stuff without glasses, maybe as my eyes change with age I'll chose to correct the left eye and wear glasses for close work. I'll wait and see how I feel. The eye clinic was in one of these buildings which are in Southernhay, this is a street of elegant Georgian town houses that follows the line of the great ditch just outside the city wall. Southernhay existed as far back as 1278 and in 1667 the central area of this wide space was made into a park for the people. It was certainly very pleasant today with the mature trees shading the street from the hot sun.
We arrived early so I had time for some shopping. From Southernhay I crossed the city wall and entered the Cathedral grounds. The area is full of wonderful old buildings and I loved this great wooden gateway with its tantalising glimpse into a small courtyard.

Exeter Cathedral sits on a spacious green which was filled with students and tourists enjoying the sun. This building was completed in 1400 but the founding of Exeter Cathedral dates back to 1050.

More buildings around the cathedral.



Plenty of cafes but with only 1 1/2 hours the shops called me onwards. I finally found some cargo pants, another size smaller -yay, in M&S. After the eye clinic it was the drive home via the scenic route passing through Crediton. This takes you through the typical Devon countryside with steep rolling hills covered with a patchwork of fields. Think 'The Shire' which is not surprising as Alan Lee (artist for LOTR) lives near Dartmoor. The route home also took us along winding river valleys and through thick forested areas, very beautiful but I can understand why Peter is relieved not to be having to drive that distance every day.

Finally the diet. Yet another 2 lbs gone, I shall have to keep on until those last few pounds have melted away. I think I shall call it the Chocolate Diet as I have several squares of chocolate every evening and a whole 100gms on Mondays. I treated myself to some more expensive white chocolate today, normally I stick to the 30p value bars.

1 comment:

happyone said...

I love white chocolate - hardly ever eat any though. I think you are wise to have a special treat, it helps to keep eating healthy if you know you can have that one snack. I do the same with ice cream. :-)