Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 9 June 2010

Summer Blues.

The post title is not a reflection of my feelings but a celebration of the 'blue' section of the garden. I cannot resist true blue flowers and have bought those that I could afford. With such a vast range of flower colours to choose from I've tried to keep the different colour palettes in separate areas of the garden. Most of the garden fits into the purple/pink range but yellows & oranges can also be found in several small areas. A garden iris in the scree garden. The planting around the pond is mainly restricted to yellows, oranges & white though a blue & white iris and a black iris have snuck into that scheme because they were just too gorgeous.
This Lithospermun (now renamed lithodora) Heavenly Blue looked as though the harsh winter had killed it off but one branch survived and is now covered with vivid blue flowers. Long ago, before we had a garden we visited a garden centre which had a giant clump of this plant which looked so good I determined that I would have one in my garden one day. The forget-me-nots are still looking good, unlike the pale blue ceonothus bush which was as dead as a doornail so I cleared it away.

It was my first afternoon back with the children. I had a relaxed time making a group pirate flag, they're on a pirate/sea theme this half term. Weather wise it has been some hot sunshine interspersed with heavy rain showers. The ground is nice and soft so I did some weeding in the morning. I'm having a short maintenance break in the garden before deciding on the next big project to be tackled.



Finally a quick glimpse of one of the swallows on the nest in the pump room. Last year they built their nest in a different part of the outbuildings and I got some pictures of the fledglings just before they flew away for good.

2 comments:

Catching the Magic said...

Wow the swallow photograph is amazing - I didn't think it was real at first - till I read on in your post! Beautiful!

Domestic Executive said...

I love blue and blue flowers feature right outside my office door. Seeing the variety of colours in your garden only reminds me again how much more effort we need to put into our garden to bring it to true technicolour glory.