Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 26 June 2010

Glastonbury Time.

The weather has been wonderful today. This morning it was 19C in the shade and 30C out in the sun which would have been too hot for me if there hadn't been a cooling breeze. Perfect Galstonbury weather. I've always hankered to go there but yet again I'm making do with the tv coverage. BBC 3 is very good, You can go interactive and flip between 4 stages. A quick flick through and I've selected on Marina and the Diamonds so I can have my own little festival in the sitting room, sound right up and me dancing around as the mood takes me. I'm not very up on current artists but I like most music. Glastonbury has become too mainstream at times but I did think Shakira was great to watch dancing. I'm waiting for the day Romas' band play Glastonbury and then I'll be along as part of their crew. Meanwhile in rural Devon the hanging baskets around the front door are looking good and should get better as the surfinias cascade down sprinkled with trailing lobelia. They lift my spirits each time I come to the front door. Now that I'm at work full-time I want to spend as much as possible of my week-end in the garden. I was having a leisurely cup of coffee this morning when I realised that it would be hard to find anything better on a holiday at some exotic location. In fact when I tried to think what would make it 100% perfect all I could come up with was maybe a secluded beach a few minutes walk away and perhaps family and friends (as long as I wasn't expected to be cooking).
I took advantage of the heat and kept the washing machine running for most of the day working my way through the pile of Linas' washing that has appeared! While I was hanging yet another load on the washing line (in the hens' run) I noticed one of the hens attempting vertical take off in order to snatch redcurrants from a heavily laden branch that was hanging over the fence. I had thought it was the blackbird stripping off the berries.

But this was the culprit, a fat hen. She's the naughty one who sneaks out of the gate if I don't wedge it with a spade when I'm in the run hanging up washing. The 3 hens are doing well laying 2 or 3 eggs every day. I can feel another baking session coming up, a big batch of chocolate chunk muffins for work and home I think.

2 comments:

Catching the Magic said...

Glorious! Your hanging baskets are absolutely brimming with joy. So happy for you to be having such a marvellous summer. Thank you so much again for the fun e-card you kindly sent Charlotte - she thought it was amazing and very funny! It's been played a few times! x

Domestic Executive said...

Cheeky hen - I am sure that if my hens were anywhere near my kitchen garden they'd be on the attack. Loved the thought of your own private Glastonbury. Enjoy the summer - long may it last.