Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 13 June 2010

More LLAMA.

Today I'm posting more images of Lynton and the festival. We made the right choice to go yesterday as it started to rain this afternoon and looks set to stay that way.
I thought this vintage mobile cinema was rather interesting. Apparently the government built a fleet of them in the 1960's to promote modern British production techniques. This is the only surviving one and took 2 years to restore after being found in a field minus most of its working parts.
One of the stalls had a great selection of kites and you could even buy the telescopic poles to keep them flying on their own. If I had children and money was no object I would have spent £35 on this wonderful dragon kite.
I took this picture earlier in the day when there weren't so many people about. The sound stage etc is by the tall coloured flags. The tents in the foreground were for massage, counselling and children's art sessions. High up on the cliff can be seen some houses/hotels in Lynmouth's sister town of Lynton. Presumably they are in a prime spot with their views across the Bristol Channel to Wales but I'm not sure if I would want to be so close to the cliff edge or so exposed to winter winds.

Another view of Lynmouth with Lynton above.

The tide had come in as we left and the small harbour was filled with boats bobbing about in the breeze. Fishing is almost non-existent now as an industry and the town's economy is completely tourism based.


This is the water powered cliff railway for those who do not wish to walk up the pleasant but exhausting winding path to the top of the cliff.

Sea ducks? These 3 ducks were waiting patiently on the sea wall for the people sitting on the green bench, just visible in the bottom corner, to feed them chips. Across the road was the village's fish and chip shop which was doing a booming trade with all the festival goers. The nice thing about this festival is the great choice and competitive prices in the festival and the village. If I hadn't been on my diet I would probably have had a fruit smoothie , you could choose to pedal a bike to power the blender, some local ice cream and a plate of nachos covered in melted cheese. Instead I brought my own fresh salads, some ryvytas and a low cal drink.
For more pictures of Lynmouth and information about the Great Flood check out last year's LLAMA post - 14th June.

4 comments:

Catching the Magic said...

Wow, love that vintage cinema truck and the kite! Beautiful photos and looks a beautiful day to have enjoyed the festival.

Domestic Executive said...

My Dad loves Lynmouth and takes a holiday there most years - I'm not sure he'd be into a music festival but I can see the attraction of the place. I loved that vintage cinema truck - amazing to see an early version of multi-media touring exhibitions!

happyone said...

Very interesting about the cinema bus. Never heard of such a thing.

Ruta M. said...

I recently listened to an article on the radio about a modern cinema lorry that unfolds into a modern cinema. It tours around the Hebredian islands showing all the latest films and is very popular.