Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 12 June 2010

LLAMA

Today we've been to Lynmouth for the annual free music festival. We usually go on the Sunday but the forecast is not so good for tomorrow so we opted for today. The festival is held in a spectacular setting at the mouth of the gorge where the River Lyn enters the sea. (Took so many photos I'll show Lynmouth itself tomorrow.)
Being a free festival everyone goes, locals with their dogs, resident hippies & free spirits and many young people who come and camp for the weekend. I enjoy checking out the stalls, this year I restricted myself to a couple of cheap shell pendants for me and Peter and a bag of tiny coloured bells to use in my jewellery making. As I walked about I suddenly realised that my camera, for which I have an extra long strap so it hangs behind me, had a wire holder with a big bunch of pendents attached to it. They must have got caught up as I browsed the stalls. At least I was able to return them.
During the first band's set we had an impromptu fire juggling display. We always arrive early as parking at the bottom of the cliff is very limited and the traffic wardens make a special effort to come and fine anyone who parks illegally. If you are late you have to park in Lynton at the top of the cliff and walk down or catch the water powered cliff railway.


Part of the fun of the festival is the chance to people watch, even easier now that I wear reflective sunglasses that hide my eyes. Earlier, before it got so crowded, we were able to leave our bags, minus valuables, on our chairs and walk around together. Peter saw quite a few people he knew, me not one. As one of the bands introduced themselves they asked if we had heard of Walsall (up in the Midlands) and someone behind us was heard to quip 'That's in Poland isn't it?'

The final act of the evening was a bangra band who had been at last year's festival. They played lively music that got everyone dancing. Then it was a dash home to watch the England v USA football match. It was all going well with a goal scored for England in the first 4 mins and then our goalie fumbled the ball and let a goal in for the Americans. At least the Americans play a clean game, unlike the Europeans and the South Americans who play really dirty with vicous tackles & elbows to faces and are masters at throwing themseves to the floor and pretending to be injured. That makes even me cross and Peter gets so angry. Let's hope that we get another goal so that our goalie's mistake doesn't ruin his career.

1 comment:

Catching the Magic said...

Looks like a fabulous festival.

We were watching the England game over breakfast. Sophie loves the game and is so keen to start 'Little Dribblers'!